-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

Agreement and Disagreement

Agreement and Disagreement


İp uçu:

 

“so” is used to show agreement with positive statements.

 

“so” + auxiliary + Subject (pronoun)

 

Auxiliary needs to agree with the verb tense in the original statement

 

Respone Agree: So do I.

 

Response Disagree: I don’t.

 

Responses to affirmative phrases:

 

      I like oranges. – So do I.

 

      I visited India last year. – So did I.

 

      I will see him tomorrow. – So will I.

 

      I have been waiting for a long time. – So have I.

 

      I can speak German. I can (speak German), too. I can speak German, as well. So can I. me, too. [olumlu cümle]

 

      Green and magenta are complementary colors located opposite each other on the color wheel, and so are blue and yellow.

 

      Let's go watch the game, shall we?

 

 

Responses like "I do too" may be used instead of responses like "So do I", with the same meaning.

      I'm bored. – I am too. So am I.

 

      I like it. – I do too. So do I.

 

Response Agree: Neither do I.

 

Response Disagree: I do.

 

Olumsuz görüşüne katılıyorsak Neither do I” denir. Eğer ki katılmıyorsak olumlu yapı kullanırız.

 

      I can’t swim. Ben yüzemem.

 

Agree          : Neither/nor can I. Bende Yüzemem.

 

Disagree     : I can. Ben yüzebilirim.

 

      I don’t like chocolate very much.

 

Agree: Neither/nor do I.

 

Disagree: I do.

 

      I have never been there. Neither have I.

 

      I don't know him. – Neither do I.

 

      I didn't call them. – Neither did I.

 

      I wasn't laughing. – Neither was I.

 

      I won't go there. – Neither will I.


 

Responses like "I don't either" may be used instead of responses like "Neither do I", with the same meaning.

      I didn't find her. – I didn't either. / Neither did I.

 

      I wasn't invited. – I wasn't either. / Neither was I.

 

      I haven’t been to Paris. I haven’t (been to Paris), either. Neither have I. Nor have I. me, either.

 

Inversion is also required in compound sentences with such constructions.

 

      I like coffee, and so does Ella.

 

      I don't like coffee, and neither does Ella.

 

      She won't wait for them, and neither will I.

 

Me too. Me neither.

 

Informal responses "Me too" and "Me neither" are sometimes used in colloquial speech in informal situations.

      I am hungry. Me too.

 

      I wasn't sure. Me neither.

 

The verb “have” in responses:

 

If the phrase to which you are responding has the auxiliary “verb have”, use “the verb have” in your response. If “the verb have” is used as a main verb (meaning: to own, to possess), use “the verb do (does, did)” in your response.

      I have finished my work. – So have I.

 

      I haven't seen this film yet. – Neither have I.

 

      I have been working very hard lately. – So have I.

 

      I have a question. – So do I.

 

      I have no time. – Neither do I.

 

      I don't have any money. – Neither do I.

 

      I had a lot of work yesterday. – So did I.

 

Expressing similarity with other people or objects:

 

First person phrases and responses are the most common, but various other combinations are also possible.

      She is on vacation now. – So are we. We are too.

 

      John can speak Italian. – So can Tom. So can Tina.

 

      Maria works in this building. – So does George. So do we.

 

      This house is very expensive. – So is that house. So are those houses.

 

      She didn't ask him about it. – Neither did you. You didn't either.

 

      You shouldn't stay here. – Neither should Alex.

 

      My task wasn't very difficult. – Neither was mine.

 

      My pen doesn't write. – Neither does mine. Mine doesn't either.

 

Use of "nor":

 

If several people or things are mentioned in your negative response, use "neither" with the first and "nor" with the second, third, etc.

      She didn't ask him about it. – Neither did you. Nor did his brother.

 

      I never saw him after that. – Neither did I, nor did Mike.

 

      You shouldn't stay here. – Neither should you, nor should Alex, nor should anyone.

 

But I do. But I don't.

Responses like "But I do" (often "I do") and "But I don't" (often "I don't") express a different attitude, action, or state as compared with what has just been said.

      I have been there many times. – I haven't.

 

      She told you the truth. – But you didn't.

 

      I don't have any questions. – But I do. I do.

 

      No one can help her. – We can.

 

      Victor won't come to the party tomorrow. – But Tom will. Tom will.

 

Yes, No

 

When you agree or disagree with someone's statement or tag question, use responses like "Yes, I do; No, I don't".

      You like such films. – Yes, I do (agreement). No, I don't (disagreement).

 

      You don't like such films. – No, I don't (agreement). Yes, I do (disagreement).

 

      Tom knows them. – Yes, he does (agreement). No, he doesn't (disagreement).

 

      Tom doesn't know them. – No, he doesn't (agreement). Yes, he does (disagreement).

 

Full responses:

 

Shortened responses like "So do I; Neither do I" help you to avoid repetition of the phrase said by your conversation partner. But if you want, you can use a full phrase in your response.

      She doesn't know him. – We don't know him either. (Neither do we. / We don't either.)

 

      We are not going to the party. – Mike isn't going to the party either. (Neither is Mike. / Mike isn't either.)

 

      I have already done my homework. – But Lena hasn't done her homework yet. (But Lena hasn't.)

 

      Tom wasn't busy yesterday. – But Tanya was busy yesterday. (But Tanya was. / Tanya was.)

 

Other cases of use:

 

Phrases like "So do I; I do too; Neither do I; I don't either; But I do; But I don't" are used not only as responses in conversation but also for uniting similar separate sentences into a compound sentence (in speech and writing). Such compound sentences allow you not to repeat the second sentence in full.

 

      I went to France last summer. Larisa went to France last summer too. I went to France last summer, and so did Larisa.

 

I went to France last summer, and Larisa did too.

 

      Kate isn't watching TV now. Mike isn't watching TV either.

 

      Kate isn't watching TV now, and neither is Mike.

 

      Anna speaks English. Sergey doesn't speak English. Anna speaks English, but Sergey doesn't.

 

Examples:

 

If he had realised just how potentially dangerous his discovery was, he would surely have suppressed it, ----?

 

A) didn't he B) wouldn't he C) hadn't he D) wasn't it E) wouldn't it Type-3. If conditional cümleda ana cümlenin yardımcı fiili “would” o halde doğru şık B.

❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html