-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

Perfect Tenses: Present, Past, Future

PRESENT PERFECT

 

1)  It is used to denote an action completed in the past but connected with the present in its result:

a)   due to the actual recentness of the event and evidence of its result

e.g. I have broken my pencil. I can‘t write.

My dream has come true. I am a student of BSU. The tomatoes haven‟t ripened yet.

b)   due to a special importance for the present of the effect (result) of an action which happened at an indefinite time in the past

e.g. How many times have you been in love? (throughout your life)

The Prime Minister has announced that taxes are to increase from the beginning of the year. (remote from the moment of speech)

 

The Present Perfect is frequently used with the adverbials recently, lately, just to indicate the recentness of the event; already (in affirmative sentences; in questions – to give an additional meaning of surprise that smth has happened sooner than expected), yet (in negative sentences and questions), still (=yet but slightly stronger and emphatic) to express the result of a completed action.

The Present Perfect is often used with today, this morning, this week, this year, etc. when these periods aren‘t completed at the moment of speaking. e.g. He‘s written a lot of books this year.

 

The typical use of the Pr. Perf. denoting a complete past action is in the attributive clause of a complex sentence with superlative constructions, ordinal numerals or ―the only‖ in the principal clause.

e.g. It is one of the most boring news I‘ve ever read. That‘s perhaps the tenth cup of tea he has drunk. This is the only time he has been away from home.

 

2)  It is used in adverbial clauses of time after the conjunctions when, till, until, before, after, as soon as to denote an action completed before a definite moment in the future.

e.g. I am not going till you have answered me. Don‘t play the chess until you have done all your homework.

 

Note1. Verbs of sense perception and motion (to hear, to see, to come, to arrive, to return, etc.) in adverbial clauses of time are generally used in the Present Indefinite and not in the Present Perfect.

e.g. I‘m sure he will recognize the poem when he hears the first line.

When the completion of the action is emphasized, the Present Perfect is used.

e.g. He will know the poem by heart when he has heard it twice.


3)  Present Perfect Inclusive is used:

·       with verbs not admitting of the Continuous form

·       in negative sentences (in this case the Present Perfect Continuous is not possible)

·       with verbs of a dynamic character to live, to work, to study, to teach, to travel, etc. (in this case the Present Perfect Continuous is possible)

It is used to denote an incomplete action which began in the past, has been going on up to the present moment and is still going on with emphasis on the result of the activity:

With since (ever since) to indicate the starting point of the activity, with for, over, in to indicate a certain period of time, with ever, never, always, often, all my life, so far to indicate an indefinite period of time.

e.g. I haven‟t heard anything from him since he moved to London. Brian had a bad fall last year and has been off work ever since. They have known each other for a long time. I‘ve never tasted papaya. I have often wondered where she gets her money from.

 

 

Remember:

The Present Perfect is used in some common phrases:

·       They‘ve made it! (=they‘ve succeeded)

·       I‘ve had enough. (=I‘m fed up. I don‘t want to do any more)

·       Now you‘ve done it!(=You‘ve done something seriously wrong)

·       You‘ve had it! (=You‘re in trouble)

In the following expressions the Present Perfect is not used:

·       Что вы сказали? – What did you say?

·       Я не слышал вашего вопроса. – I didn‘t hear your question.

·       Где вы купили книгу? – Where did you buy the book?

·       Теперь я понял. – Now I understand.

·       Я забыл, где он живет. – I forget where he lives. (a certain fact)


The Past Indefinite and the Present Perfect

An action expressed by the Past Indefinite belongs exclusively to the sphere of the past, while the Present Perfect shows that a past occurrence is connected with the present time.

e.g. She is not well and has changed very much of late. She changed very much a great many years ago.

It‘s a shame. I‘ve lost my umbrella again! (emphasis on the result) Kate lost her umbrella yesterday. (emphasis on the time of the action)

 

The Present Perfect is never used with such adverbial modifiers of the past time as yesterday, the other day, last week, etc. With such adverbial modifiers as today, this week, etc. both the Present Perfect and the Past Indefinite are used.

e.g. I have told you three times this week that she is coming home for a year. I want your sister, the woman who gave me money today.

 

With the adverb just the Present Perfect is used. With the expression just now the Past Indefinite is used.

e.g. I have just hired a new pianist. I saw you come in just now.

 

It should also be remembered that when more details are added to the information given in the Present Perfect, the Past Indefinite is generally used.


e.g. I‘ve had a terrible day in the office. My secretary fell ill, we lost three contracts and to crown it all our computers broke.

I have bought a pair of shoes. – Where did you buy them?

 

Ex. 1

Explain the use of Present Perfect in the following sentences.

1.                                 Oliver came shyly up to him. ―Sir, I‘ve written a poem.‖ ―Good,‖ said the headmaster.

May I see it?‖

2.                                 Come on, ladies,‖ he shouted, ―there‘s nothing to be afraid of. The mice have left the room.‖

3.                                 He thinks it‘s pure nerves and he‘s given me pills.

4.                                 Sam, what‘s come over you? You make me sad talking like this.

5.                                 Where is Gladys?‖ ―I‘ve just had a message. Her aunt‘s had a stroke and she‘s had to go down to Somerset.‖

6.                                 Then about a year ago he disappeared and I‘ve never heard from him since.

7.                                 I don‘t think he‘s changed in the thirty years I‘ve known him.

8.                                 Miss Drake,‖ he said later. ―How long have you known Roger?‖ ―Nearly a year. He‘s told me a lot about you.‖ ―What did he say?‖

9.                                 Where is my brother?‖ ―He‘s not been in all afternoon.‖

10.                            I‘ve had a rather nasty pain in my knee at times lately. It caught ne this morning in a devilish fashion.

11.                            I‘m tidying up for tomorrow. When I‘ve finished this I‘ll go and put the child to bed.

12.                                  As soon as we have had some tea, John, we shall go to inspect your garden.

13.                            I said, ―Well, don‘t take him away until I‘ve had a chance to speak to him.‖

 

Ex. 2

Answer these questions using the words in brackets.

Example: When did you last smoke? (for two years) I haven‘t smoked for two years.

1.       When did it last rain? (for ages) It…

2.       When did they last visit you? (since June) They…

3.       When did you last play tennis? (for a long time)

4.       When did you last eat caviar? (never)

5.       When did you last drive? (for six months)

6.       When did you last go to Spain? (never)

7.       When did she last write to you? (since last summer)

 

Ex. 3

Complete the sentences using so far.

Example: I saw Tom yesterday but I haven‟t seen him so far today.

1.       We ate a lot yesterday but we ….much so far today.

2.       It snowed a lot last winter but it … so far this winter.

3.       I played tennis a lot last year but … this year.

4.       She worked hard last term but … this term.

5.       I watched television yesterday evening … this evening.

6.       My favourite football team won a lot of matches last season but they … many matches so far this season.

 

Ex. 4

Use the Present Perfect or the Past Indefinite in the following sentences.

1.        I never (see) anyone more beautiful than your wife.

2.        I (meet) your husband this afternoon at Green Street.

3.        He said, ―You (meet) this passenger. He calls himself Major Jones.‖ ―I (speak) to him.‖


4.        You (hear) the news?‖ ―What news?‖ ―About Ted and Dave. They (be) out on the roof last night and Ted (sleep) and Dave (try) to hold him but he couldn‘t and (be) pulled off too. They are both in hospital with concussion and their people (be) sent for.‖

5.        I understand you (have) an unpleasant experience at the weekend. What (happen) exactly?

6.        You remember the coin you (find) in the pool?

7.        You (say) just now that time (be) everything. What you (mean) by that?

8.        I remember you (have) three funny little freckles on your nose,‖ he said, ―but they (disappear).‖

9.        I think I‘d better go now. I (act) wrongly and I in a way (deceive) you. I‘m sorry.

10.      I‘ll drink tea from this tin mug.‖ ―Wherever you (find) it?‖

11.   The parrot screamed a few words in Hindi. ―Where he (learn) that?‖ my aunt asked me.

12.   He showed her inside the house. ―Oh, how lovely! I had no idea it would be so lovely. Why you (not tell) us? And you (do) it all by yourself? ‖ ―Yes.‖ ―How you (manage) it? It‘s so tidy. And the new tea-set! When you (buy) it?‖

13.      Listen,‖ he said, ―My father (fight) for four years in the last war.‖

14.   Dont go, Philip,‖ said his mother. ―I scarcely (see) you today.‖

15.      I was at school with Alec. Then we (not see) each other for years.



PAST PERFECT

 

1)  It is used to denote a past action completed before another past action or before a certain moment in the past.

This tense-form is not used simply to describe an action in the distant past. There must be another action, less far away in the past, with which it contrasts as a prior action. The priority of an action is normally indicated:

a)   by an adverbial phrase with the preposition by:

e.g. By the end of the year they had finally got their long-awaited pay rise.

 

b)     by an adverbial clause of time (with the conjunctions before, after, by the time …, when, no sooner … than, hardly … when, scarcely … when, barely … when):

e.g. After he had finished breakfast he sat down to write some letters. The children had cleaned everything up by the time their parents returned. The game had hardly begun when it started to rain. The ride had lasted about ten minutes, when the truck suddenly stopped.

 

2)  It is used to denote a complete past action which had visible results in the past

e.g. He was delighted because he had found a new job. We didn‘t feel like playing Scrabble because we had just finished a long game of Monopoly.

 

3)  Past Perfect Inclusive

It is used to denote an action which began before a definite moment in the past, continued up to that moment and was still going on at that moment. The starting point of the duration is indicated by the preposition since, the whole period of duration – by for.

The Past Perfect Inclusive is used:

·       with verbs not admitting of the Continuous form

·       in negative sentences (in this case the Past Perfect Continuous is also possible but not common)

·       with verbs of a dynamic character (in this case the Past Perfect Continuous is possible)

e.g. I knew the Horns had been married for nearly 50 years. George made no answer and we found that he had been asleep for some time.

 

Note:

The use of the Past Perfect for a prior event is often prompted by the lexical and syntactical structure of the sentence. The tense-form is found, in particular:


a)       after the construction this/it/that was the first/second/only/best/worst case/time, etc. smth. had happened. e.g. It was the second serious mistake he had made in that job.

b)       With the verbs hope, intend, plan, expect, etc. to describe past intentions which were unfulfilled. e.g. I had intended to make a cake, but I ran out of time.

c)       In Indirect Speech in the object clauses after verbs like say, tell, ask, inform, wonder, etc. in the Past Simple. e.g. I wondered if Jim had had a chance to discuss the issue with Mr Kelly.

 

The Past Indefinite and Past Perfect

1.   The Past Perfect is not used to denote a succession of actions. In this case the Past Indefinite is used.

The Past Indefinite is used with the conjunctions after, before, when if the relation between the actions approaches succession, i.e. when the idea of completion is of no importance.

e.g. He went on with his work after he had a short rest. He had a short rest before he went on with his work. When I wrote the letter, I posted it.

 

2.   Verbs of motion and sense perception such as to come, to arrive, to return, to see, to hear in adverbial clauses of time are generally used in the Past Indefinite and not in the Past Perfect. The actions are practically simultaneous.

e.g. When he came down he found his mother reading. When he heard the first line of the poem he recognized it at once.

When the completion of the action is emphasized the Past Perfect is used.

e.g. He knew the poem by heart when he had heard it several times.

 

Ex. 1

Explain the use of the Past Perfect in the following sentences.

1.       He asked me if I had had breakfast.

2.       He now opened the low gate that he had so often swung on as a small boy.

3.       She was sure that he had never lied to her before.

4.       Jack chose the hotel. He had never been there before but he had heard his mother speak of it once. She had said she had liked it.

5.       He remembered how the ball had hit squarely on the nose and the bleeding hadn‘t stopped for three hours.

6.       He decided to wait till he had talked to the man himself.

7.       I knew he would ask me for news of his son as soon as he Had seen the last guest off.

 

Ex. 2

Complete the following situations to express a prior action or state.

1.        You came to your friend‘s house but she wasn‘t there. (she/go/out) _

2.        You went back to your hometown after many years. It wasn‘t the same as before. (it/change/a lot)

3.        You went to the cinema last night. You arrived at the cinema late. (the film/already/begin)

4.        I was very pleased to see my friend again after a long time. (I/not/see/him/for five years)

5.        The mother offered her daughter something to eat but she wasn‘t hungry. (she/already/have/lunch)

6.        I missed the train by 30 seconds. (it/already/leave)

7.        The woman sitting next to me on the plane was very nervous. It was her first flight. (she/never/fly/before)


8.        Simon played tennis yesterday. He wasn‘t very good at it because it was his first game. (he/never/play tennis/before)

9.        Robert was late for work yesterday. That surprised everybody. (he/hardly/ever/be/late/work/before)

10.   She got into the driving seat nervously. (she/never/drive/car/before)

 

Ex. 3

Use the Past Perfect or the Past Indefinite according to the relations between the actions.

1.                                 ‗Was Tom at the party when you arrived?‘ ―No, he (go) home.‖

2.                                 I felt very tired when I got home, so I (go) straight to bed.

3.                                 The house was very quiet when I got home. Everybody (go) to bed.

4.                                 We were driving along the road when we (see) a car which (break) down, so we (stop) to see if we could help.

5.                                 Mary (lend) Dick some money only after he (promise) to give it back the next day.

6.                                 When I (leave) my house I (realize) that I (forget) my keys.

7.                                 I (write) to the shop to ask why my books (not/arrive) yet.

8.                                 She (refuse) to admit that the accident (be) her fault.

9.                                 Before I (go) to London I never (be) abroad before.

10.                           When he (realize) he (leave) the lights on, he told the taxi-driver to turn back.

 

Ex. 4

Use the Past Perfect or the Present Perfect in the following sentences.

1.       It was the first time I (see) that film.

2.       That is the best September we ever (have) here.

3.       It is the eighth time you (sing) this song today.

4.       That was the only time I (feel) happy that year.

5.       It is the third serious mistake you (make) in this job.

6.       It was the only time I ever (see) her cry.

7.       It was the first time all the family (be) together since Sue‘s wedding.

8.       Those were the first clothes I (buy) myself.

9.       It was the first time that I (hear) her sing.

10.   It was the fifth time he (ask) me the same question.

11.   That is the third cake you (eat) this morning.

12.   It is the first time I ever (taste) muesli.


FUTURE PERFECT

 

1)                 It is used to denote an action completed before a definite moment in the future or before another future action.

e.g. My sister will have left school by July. She will have left school by the time I graduate from the University.

 

2)             The Future Perfect Inclusive

It is used to denote an action lasting over a certain period of time up to the given future moment.

= It is used to denote an action which will begin before a definite moment in the future, will continue up to that moment and will be going on at that moment.

The Future Perfect Inclusive is used with:

·       verbs not admitting of the Continuous form

·       in negative sentences

·       with verbs of a dynamic character.

e.g. Kate will have been a student for half a year by March. We will have had our old TV-set for ten years by the time the new TV-set is delivered.

 

Ex. 1

Read the texts and ask and answer questions using The Future Perfect tense.

Some sections of the new motorway are already in use, and soon half of this road will be open to traffic. By the end of next year the workers will have completed the project, and at last there will be peace for the inhabitants of the countryside. The new road will have freed them from the constant deafening roar of high-powered engines. The completion of the road will be a relief even to the workmen. Some of them will have been here for over seven years by the time they will have finished.

 

-           Have they finished work on your new swimming pool, Charles?

-           They will have completed it by the end of the week.

-           How long is it?

-           It‘s only 25 feet long and 15 feet wide.

-           How deep is it?

-           It‘s 8 feet in depth. They will have installed the diving board by Saturday. By the way, we‘re holding a swimming party on Sunday, if it‘s not too cold. You will come, won‘t you?

-           I‘d love to come, but I‘m not much of a swimmer. I hope I‘ll have learnt to swim by next summer.

-           Well, I‘m hardly a good swimmer myself. Anyway, it‘ll be fun. Make up your mind and come. I hope you will have let me know by Friday.

 

Ex. 2

Match the sentences with the meaning of the Future Perfect tense in each of them.

1.            I hope that when I call you, you will have returned from work.

2.            I don‘t think I will be able to join you. I

will have been busy since morning.

3.            By the time the interview is over, the reporters will have found out a lot of interesting facts.

4.            The tourists will be tired when they come to the camp. They will have walked for three hours.

a.       An action completed by a definite future moment

b.       A    future action completed before another future action

c.       An action lasting over a certain period of time up to the given future moment

d.       A future action lasting over a period of time up to another future action

 

Ex. 3

Choose the Future Continuous or the Future Perfect tense.

1.       What will you be doing/will you have done at this time tomorrow?

2.       How soon will the builders be finishing/will the builders have finished laying the foundations?

3.       Do you think you will be making/will have made a decision by next July?

4.       Next Sunday morning I will be travelling/will have travelled to the Crimea.

5.       By the end of the year I will be driving/will have driven 2000 miles on business.

6.       We will be waiting/will have waited for you at the station when you arrive.

7.       They will be knowing/will have known each other for a year by September.

8.       If Ann comes late, we will be having/will have had dinner and she will have to eat alone.

9.       By lunchtime they will be crossing/will have crossed the Channel.

10.   How long will you be having/will you have had your old car before you buy a new one?


❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html