-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

SIMPLE PAST, PRESENT PERFECT, AND PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS

A . The simple past

We normally use the simple past to talk about actions that took place at a time that is separated from the present. It is used with expressions like yesterday, on Monday, last week, in 1989, at 6.30, How long ago ...?, etc.:

Yesterday GKN launched a takeover bid for Westland. He did his MBA at Cranfield in 1991.

We can use the simple past and for to talk about something that happened during a period that has now finished:

I lived in Singapore for three years; then I came back to England.

 

 

B. The present perfect

The present perfect is used to talk about the present result of past actions and recent events, and is often used with words like ever, never, just, already, yet, and phrases of unfinished time such as so far:

British Telecom has cut the price of peak rate phone calls by 20%.

Have you ever tried Swiss wine?

We have spoken to each other on the phone, but we have never met. Don't worry about the order from Siemens. I have already dealt with it. I'm afraid I haven't done that sales forecast yet. I'll do it tomorrow.

The film was released two weeks ago and so far it has taken $45m.

 

 

C. Present perfect simple + for and since

The present perfect can be used with for and since and stative verbs, or to refer to actions that are seen as long term or permanent. We use for to talk about the duration of a period of time and since to talk about the starting point of an action or state:

I have been with the company since 1986. I have lived here for 20 years.


It is also used in the negative with for and since to talk about the last time something took place:

I haven't seen her since Monday. I haven't seen her for three days.

It is used with since to talk about completed actions:

Our market share has increased by 11% since we started advertising on TV.

 

 

D. Present perfect continuous

The present perfect continuous can be used with for and since to talk about actions or activities that have gone on repeatedly or continuously for a period of time, and are still going on:

We've been producing over 1,000 units a week since the new factory opened.

 

 

 

Exercise 1 Simple past vs present perfect (1)

Look at the graph and read the sentences. Put a tick [٧] next to the ones that are right, and correct the ones that are wrong.

1.   Over the last year or so, shareholders in the holiday group Owners Abroad have had a turbulent ride. ٧

2.     The shares have risen sharply at the beginning of the year on the news of the Airtours bid. _rose_

3.     Then the shares have fallen steadily for three or four months, ending up at 100p at the end of June.  

4.     In July the shares plummeted to 60p because of the company's difficulties.

5.     The shares have stayed at around 60p for most of July.

6.     At the beginning of August, the shares began to recover again.

7.     Since August the shares have managed to recover.

8.     The share price has now climbed back to where it has been before the Airtours bid.  


Exercise 2 Simple past vs present perfect (2)

In the dialogue, put the verbs into the simple past or the present perfect.

A.     Can I have a word about your trip to Athens?

B.       Yes, of course. Is everything OK?

A:   Yes. Your tickets (1) have arrived (arrive) and they‟re in my office now. And I

(2)     (just/had) a fax from the hotel confirming your reservation. B: Thank you. What about money?

A:   I (3) (already/order) some drachmas for you. I (4) (ring) the bank yesterday, and they'll have them tomorrow. But there's a problem with your Eurocheque book. I (5) (ask) them to send one a week ago, but it (6)

  (not/arrive) yet.

B: That's all right. I (7) (never/need) a Eurocheque before. I normally use a credit card.

A:     Really? Are you sure you can do that?

B:   Yes, I think so. Certainly when I (8)        (go) to France last October I (9)

  (take) my Visa card and my Mastercard, and I (10) (not/have) any problems. But I'll check about Greece. (11) (you/ever/be) there?

A: No, but have a word with Alison Morgan in Production. She (12) (be) there a couple of times this year, so I expect she would know.

 

 

 

Exercise 3 Present perfect and present perfect continuous

Underline the correct form of the verb.

1.     I‟ve stayed/been staying in a hotel for the last ten days, but I hope to find an apartment of my own soon.

2.     I wonder how Jim is getting on. I haven't heard/been hearing from him for nearly a week.

3.     Graham is a natural salesman. He has sold/been selling eight cars since the beginning of the week.


4.     I didn't realize that you and David were friends. How long have you

known/been knowing him?

5.     This report is a nightmare. I have written/ been writing it for two weeks, and it is still not finished.

 

 

❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html