-->

Download ▼

✥ Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF) ✥

╰──────────────────────╯

THE BASIC FORMS OF THE ENGLISH VERB TENSES

THE BASIC FORMS OF THE ENGLISH VERB TENSES

 

positive

negative

question

present simple

subject + verb (+ s )

subject + do / does + not + verb

(question word +) do / does + subject + verb?

 

➤ I eat.

She eats toast.

 

➤ I I don’t eat toast.

 

➤ Do you eat breakfast

 

 

She doesn’t eat fish.

every day?

 

 

 

When does she eat

lunch?

present simple

 

with ‘be’

subject + am / is / are

➤ I am hungry. She is in a cafe.

subject + am / is / are + not

➤ I’m not hungry. She isn’t happy.

(question word +) am / is / are + subject...?

➤ Is he at home? Why are you hungry?

present continu ous

subject + am / is / are

+ verb-ing

➤ She’s eating

toast.

They are eating

lunch now.

subject + am / is / are + not + verb- ing

➤ He isn’t eating.

We are not eating at home.

(question word +) am / is / are + subject + verb-ing?

➤ When are they

eating?

Is he eating now?

present perfect

subject + have / has

+ past participle

subject + have / has + not + past participle

(question word +) have

/ has + subject + past

 

➤ I’ve eaten breakfast.

➤ We haven’t eaten

yet.

participle?

➤ What have you

 

He has eaten lunch.

She hasn’t eaten the

eaten today?


 

 

chocolate.

Has she eaten lunch?

present perfect continu ous

subject + have / has

+ been + verb- ing

➤ I’ve been eating. She’s been eating

biscuits all day.

subject + have / has + not + been + verb-ing

➤ They haven’t been

eating.

He has not been eating

toast.

(question word +) have

/ has + subject + been + verb-ing?

➤ What has she been eating?

Have they been eating

breakfast?

past simple

subject + past simple (verb +ed)

➤ I ate an apple. She ate some rice.

subject + did + not + verb

➤ She didn’t eat

anything.

They did not eat

breakfast.

(question word +) did + subject + verb?

➤ Did you eat the

chocolate?

What did they eat for lunch?

past simple

 

with ‘be’

subject + was / were

 

➤ I was hungry.

They were in a restaurant.

subject + was / were + not

➤ We weren’t hungry. She wasn’t at home.

(question word +) was / were + subject...?

Why was she hungry?

Were you hungry?

past continu ous

subject + was / were

+ verb-ing

➤ I was eating. They were eating

lunch.

subject + was / were + not + verb- ing

➤ You weren’t eating.

She wasn’t eating a sandwich.

(question word +) was / were + subject + verb- ing?

➤ Where were you

eating?

Was she eating an apple?

past perfect

subject + had + past participle

 

➤ I had eaten. She’d eaten lunch.

subject + had + not + past participle

 

➤ We hadn’t eaten. He had not eaten an

(question word +) had

+ subject + past participle

➤ Why had you

eaten?


 

 

apple.

Had they eaten fish before?

past perfect continu ous

subject + had + been

+ verb-ing

 

➤ I had been eating

chocolate all day. She’d been eating breakfast.

subject + had + not + been + verb- ing

 

➤ I hadn’t been eating.

She hadn’t been eating an apple.

(question word +) had

+ subject + been + verb-ing?

➤ Why had he been

eating?

Had they been eating

enough fruit?

future simple

subject + will + verb

 

➤ I will eat later. She will eat at home.

subject + will + not + verb

➤ We won’t eat

anything tonight. He will not eat fish.

(question word +) will

+ subject + verb?

➤ What will you eat

for lunch?

Will she eat meat?

future continu ous

subject + will + be + verb-ing

 

➤ I will be eating at 8pm.

She will be eating a sandwich.

subject + will + not + be + verb-ing

 

➤ They won’t be eating.

He will not be eating

anything.

(question word +) will

+ subject + be + verb- ing?

➤ What will you be

eating?

Will they be eating at 6pm?

future perfect

subject + will + have

+ past participle

 

➤ I will have eaten

lunch by 3 o’clock. She’ll have eaten all the chocolate.

subject + will + not + have + past participle

 

➤ He won’t have eaten lunch yet.

They will not have eaten their sandwiches.

(question word +) will

+ subject + have + past participle?

 

➤ When will you have eaten?

Will she have eaten

dinner by nine?

future perfect continu

subject + will + have

+ been + verb-ing

subject + will + not + have + been + verb-ing

(question word +) will

+ subject + have + been

+ verb-ing?


ous

➤ They will have

been eating fruit. We’ll have been eating all day.

➤ I won’t have been eating fish.

They will not have been eating lunch.

➤ What will she have been eating?

Will you have been eating chocolate?

 

 

❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

❶ You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel. ☛ Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html