-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

Past, Present and Future Tenses

Repeat these structures yourself —

Tense                                                                     Structures

Simple Present

s+v1/v5+obj

Present Continuous

s+is/am/are+v4+obj

Present Perfect

s+has/have+v3+obj

Present Perfect Continuous

s+has/have+been+v4+obj

Simple Past

s+v2+obj

Past Continuous

s+was/were+v4+obj

Past Perfect

s+had+v3+obj

Past Perfect Continuous

s+had been+v4+obj

Simple Future

s+will/shall+v1+obj

Future Continuous

s+will/shall+be+v4+obj

Future Perfect

s+will/shall+have+v3+obj

Future Perfect Continuous

s+will/shall+have+been+v4+obj

Going to Future Tense

s+is/am/are+going to+v1+obj


Grammar Focus: Simple Present Tense

Read the following description.

It is time for recess. I am on the playground with my friends. First, we play hopscotch. Next, we throw a ball. Later, we see the swings, and we race over to them. I pump my swing faster and higher than my friends Jenish and Pemba. We get off and run to the slide. We have to wait in line for the slide. When my turn finally comes, I climb to the top of the ladder and sit down on the slide. I push off with my hands and go down very fast. I laugh because it is fun. Then the bell rings. I quickly drink some water and wave goodbye to Jenish and Pemba.

In the given description, the coloured words are in simple present tense. Simple present tense tells us about the things that are permanently true. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject

Auxiliary

Verb

Main Verb

I, We, You, They

 

 

like

coffee.

He, She

 

 

likes

coffee.

I, We, You, They

do

not

like

coffee.

He, She

does

not

like

coffee.

Do

I, we, you, they

 

like

coffee?

Does

he, she

 

like

coffee?

Affirmative Negative Interrogative

Sub+v1/v5+obj Sub+do/does+not+v1+obj Do/Does +sub +v1+ obj +?

 

SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE IS USED:

¦ to express universal, general truths. The sun rises in the east.

Water boils at 100oC. Blood is red.

The earth moves round the sun.

¦ to express habitual actions, regular actions.

She takes a glass of milk every morning.

I always go to temple. He never has wine.

¦ to express scheduled future actions, future actions with present time table.

The bus leaves at 5 pm.

I take 5 o’clock plane tomorrow.

¦ to express English proverbs and quotations.

Man is mortal. Honesty is the best policy. All that glitters is not gold.

¦ to explain events in the live commentaries.

Aryan controls the ball and kicks it away to the goal post.

¦ to express timetable and travel management.

Our school starts at 9 am. The match begins at 11 am.


¦ in the sentence beginning with ‘here’ and ‘there’.

Here comes the bus.

There she goes.

¦ with simple future tense, in the clauses of cause and effect.

If you work hard, you’ll pass the test.

If he comes to the party, she’ll be happy.

¦ to tell about someone’s job or profession.

He works in a bank.

Raman is an engineer.

¦ to describe events, situations or actions described in stories, dramas, fictions, films, etc.

In Muna Madan, Madan goes to Lhasa to earn money.

At last the hero kills the criminal.

¦ with the following adverbs:

He always sleeps in the day time.

I can see her every time I visit the zoo.

Aryan frequently visits the temple. We go for a picnic once a year.

She hardly drinks alcohol.

Whenever I need money, I remember you. Grammar Focus: Present Continuous Tense Read the following description.


In the given description, the coloured words are in present continuous tense. Present continuous tense describes the things that are happening or existing for a period of time without interruption. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject

Auxiliary

Verb                                     Main Verb

I

am

 

drinking

coffee.

We, You, They

are

 

drinking

coffee.

He, She

is

not

drinking

coffee.

I

am

not

drinking

coffee.

We, You, They

are

not

drinking

coffee.

Am

I

 

drinking

coffee?

Are

we, you, they

 

drinking

coffee?

Is

he, she

 

drinking

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+is/am/are+ v4+obj

 

Negative

Sub+is/am/are+not+v4+Obj

 

Interrogative

Is/Am/Are+sub+v4+obj+?

 

PRESENT CONTINUOUS TENSE IS USED:

¦ for an action going on at the time of speaking.

The boys are playing in the ground. The vehicles are running on the way.

¦ for an action that is planned or arranged to take place in the near future.

My sister is arriving tomorrow.

We are going to Kathmandu next month.

¦ for a long- term process and development.

The climate of the world is altering.

The pollution in Kathmandu valley is increasing day by day.

¦ for a changing situation. My health is getting worse. It is getting older.

¦ for a temporary action which may not be actually happening at the time of

speaking.

I am reading a book of Shakespeare. I am writing a book on grammar.

I am living in an apartment.

I am taking computer classes this month.

¦ after short expressions that draw attention like: Stop! Listen! Look! Don’t  disturb! Don’t cross the road! After ‘but today, but now’, etc.

Look! He is coming here. Hurry up! The bus is leaving.

Do not make a noise! The child is sleeping.

They always go to school on foot but today, but now they are riding on bicycles.


¦ with the following adverbs:

They are walking on the road now.

He is still sitting under the tree.

I am going overseas in the near future.

We are organizing a party this evening. Grammar Focus: Present Perfect Tense Read the following dialogue.

Deepa: Have you seen the ski shop that’s just opened new branch in the High Street?

Mina:     Yes, I have. It has opened it recently, hasn’t it? I haven’t been in there yet.

Deepa: I went there yesterday. It’s really good. Look! I have bought some gloves. It is

good for skiing. Have you skied lately or not?

Mina:     No, I haven’t skied for ages actually. I’ve got some skis - I’ve had them for years.

I used to ski a lot when I was younger.

Deepa: Where have you gone so far?

Mina:     We have been to Austria many times.

Deepa: I’ve been to Scotland twice, but I’ve never done any skiing abroad. I’m really looking forward to going to Italy.

In the above given dialogue, the coloured words are in present perfect tense. The present perfect tense is the form of verb that expresses an action done in a period up to the present. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject

Auxiliary

Verb

Main Verb

I, We, You, They

have

 

drunk

coffee.

He, She

has

 

drunk

coffee.

I, We, You, They

have

not

drunk

coffee.

He, She

has

not

drunk

coffee.

Have

I, we, you, they

 

drunk

coffee?

Has

he, she, it

 

drunk

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+has/have+v3+obj

 

Negative

Sub+has/have + not+v3+obj

 

Interrogative

Has/Have+sub+/v3+obj+?

 

PRESENT PERFECT TENSE IS USED:

¦ to denote a completed action in the recent past.

I have just finished the work. She has just come from London.

¦ to denote recent past actions which have results in the present.

She has played volleyball. (She is sweating) I have cut my finger. (It’s bleeding)

¦ with ‘since + point of time or for + period of time’ to denote an action beginning at sometime in the past and continuing up to the present moment.

I haven’t known them for 10 years.

I have joined the class for two months.


¦ to express interesting incidents or experiences.

I have seen a one-horned rhino in jungle. I have spent two months in South Korea. I have read Harry Porter.

¦ for a new information or recent happening.

They have just arrived from the party.

The prime minister has resigned.

¦ with the following adverbs:

They have never seen the sea.

They have recently published the book.

I have not written the document yet.

¦ This is the first time, it is the first time + Present Perfect.

This is the first time I’ve joined computer classes. It is the first time Dip has travelled by plane.

¦ Present Perfect + Since + Simple Past.

I haven’t met Roman since he passed the SLC.

He hasn’t studied anywhere since he missed the annual exam.

Grammar Focus: Present Perfect Continuous Tense

Read the following dialogue.

Mina:        I shall have to go into hospital some time to have an operation on my

leg.

Mohan:     Are you on the waiting list?

Mina:        Yes, I’ve been waiting for three years.

Mohan:     Three years! That’s awful! You’ve been suffering all that time.

Mina:        Well, I have to use the wheelchair, that’s all.

Mohan:     They’ve been cutting expenditure, trying to save money. It’s not right.

Mina:        My son David has written to them three times. He’s been trying to get

me in quicker. I don’t know if it’ll do any good.

In the above given dialogue, the coloured words are in present perfect continuous tense. The present perfect continuous tense is the form of verb that expresses an action that started somewhere in the past and is continuing up to now to the present. The action might continue up to the future too. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject                       Auxiliary Verb                                      Auxiliary Verb                                      Main Verb

I, We, You, They

have

 

been

drinking

coffee.

He, She

has

 

been

drinking

coffee.

I, We, You, They

have

not

been

drinking

coffee.

He, She

has

not

been

drinking

coffee.


Have

I, we, you, they

 

been

drinking

coffee?

Has

he, she

 

been

drinking

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+has/have+been+v4+obj

 

Negative

Sub+has/have+not+been+v4+obj

 

Interrogative

Has/Have+sub+been+v4+obj+?

 

¦ Present perfect continuous tense is used for an action this began at some time in

the past and is still continuing.

I have been waiting her for six hours.

She has been living in this village since 2061 B.S.

¦ ‘Since +point of time’, ‘for +period of time + now’, ‘all +present time: all this morning, afternoon, evening, all this week, month, years’.

She has been practicing dance all this morning.

We have been studying here since our childhood.

¦ Used with these verbs: stay, live, wait, work, sleep, read, etc.

She has been reading for ten hours.

I have been teaching here since 2007.

Grammar Focus: Simple Past Tense

Read the following description.

I have just had a terrible weekend! On Saturday I was so tired that I slept all morning. When I woke up I had a headache and my throat was sore. My body ached all over. My nose ran and I coughed a lot. My mother took my temperature but I did not have a fever.

My mother made me some soup for lunch and I had it in bed. I drank some juice. I tried to read a book but I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I lay in bed all afternoon. I drifted in and out of sleep. I drank more juice. I felt miserable all afternoon. I didn’t want to do anything.

I got out of bed at dinner time. My parents ordered pizza for dinner and I was able to eat some of it. I drank more juice! I felt a bit better after dinner so I stayed up. I snuggled under a blanket on the couch and watched some TV with my parents. I fell asleep in front of the TV.

The next morning I felt better but now my mother had a cold! She looked miserable. It was her turn to be sick

In the above description, the coloured words are in simple past tense. The simple past tense is used to describe the completed actions in the past. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject                                         Auxiliary Verb                             Main Verb

I, We, You, They

 

 

drank

coffee.

He, She

 

 

drank

coffee.

I, We, You, They

did

not

drink

coffee.

He, She

did

not

drink

coffee.

Did

I, we, you, they

 

drink

coffee?

Did

he, she

 

drink

coffee?


Affirmative

Sub+v2+obj

Negative

Sub+did+not+v1+obj

Interrogative

Did+sub+v1+obj+?

SIMPLE PAST TENSE IS USED:

¦ to denote an action completed in the past.

Manu’s father died of cancer last year. They passed the exam in 1999.

¦ to express past habits.

We went to temple every day. (But not now) Harry ran miles every morning.

¦ to express the historic events.

Chandra Shumsher Built Tri-Chandra College. Devkota wrote Muna Madan.

¦ with when clause.

When his father came in, he started reading the book. When the bell rang, the teacher entered into the classroom.

      with the following adverbials:           

We saw a Giraffe yesterday.

They visited the Taj Mahal last year.

Grammar Focus: Past Continuous Tense

Read the following description.

Last night I went to Nathan Phillips Square at City Hall in Toronto. It was a beautiful summer evening. It was warm and sunny. Lots of people were there because of the Pan Am games celebrations. I stood and watched the crowd.

Many people were sitting by the water. Some people were talking with friends or family.

Lots of people were taking pictures.

A band was playing music on the stage. People were standing by the stage. They were listening to the music. Others were watching the performance on large video screens. Everyone was enjoying the summer evening.

In the above given description, the coloured words are in past continuous tense. Past continuous tense describes the things that were happening or existing for a period of time without interruption in the past. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject                    Auxiliary Verb                           Main Verb

I

was

 

drinking

coffee.

We, You, They

were

 

drinking

coffee.

He, She

was

 

drinking

coffee.

I

was

not

drinking

coffee.


We, You, They

were

not

drinking

coffee.

Was

I

 

drinking

coffee?

Were

we, you, they

 

drinking

coffee?

Was

he, she

 

drinking

coffee?

Affirmative                                   Sub+was/were+v4+obj

Negative                                  Sub+was/were+not+v4+obj

Interrogative                                   Was/Were+sub+v4+obj+?

PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE IS USED:

¦ to denote an action going at sometime in the past.

He was washing clothes all morning yesterday. It was raining all day yesterday.

¦ to refer to a temporary situation in the past.

Rica was living with her uncle. They were taking extra classes.

¦ with while clause.

The phone rang while I was eating rice.

¦ It often occurs with ‘ all +past time’

I was travelling by plane at this time yesterday. They were painting the fence all day yesterday. Grammar Focus: Past Perfect Tense

Read the following description.

Yesterday, my parents had a large family dinner at their house. Getting ready for thanks

giving dinner takes a lot of work.

The day started well and by late afternoon we had completed most of the work. Everyone had helped to make the meal a success. We had put the turkey in the oven earlier that day so the house was starting to smell like roast turkey. The grandchildren had finished setting the table for Thanks giving dinner. My aunt had made two pies for dessert, a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. My brother and I had peeled the carrots and the potatoes. We had just turned on the stove to start cooking the vegetables when the power went out! The oven stopped working! We couldn’t cook the vegetables! The turkey wouldn’t finish cooking! We waited. We talked. We went for a walk.

We had waited two hours by the time the power came back on. We had almost given up

hope. Dinner was late that night but it was a thanksgiving dinner that we won’t forget.

In the above  given  description,  the  coloured  words  are  in  past  perfect  tense.  The  past perfect tense is the form of verb that expresses an action done in a period in the past. Let’s observe the following table:


Subject

Auxiliary Verb

 

Main Verb

I, We, You, They

had

 

drunk

coffee.

He, She

had

 

drunk

coffee.

I, We, You, They

had

not

drunk

coffee.

He, She

had

not

drunk

coffee.

Had

I, we, you, they

 

drunk

coffee?

Had

he, she, it

 

drunk

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+had+v3+obj

 

 

 

Negative

Sub+had+not+v3+obj

 

 

 

Interrogative

Had+sub+v3+obj+?

 

 

 

¦ Past perfect tense is used to denote an action completed before a certain moment

in the past.

I had met him in Kathmandu in 2005. I had seen him last three years before.

¦ It is also used to show which of two actions in the past happened earlier than

the other.

The boy went home after he had completed the work.

The boy had completed the work before he went home.

When he reached home, his father had been taken to hospital.

¦ Simple past for 2nd action, past perfect for 1st action

The thieves had run away when the police arrived.

¦ As soon as +past perfect simple past (If two actions happen in the past one      after another)

As soon as I had completed my work, I went for dinner.

Grammar Focus: Past Perfect Continuous Tense

The past perfect continuous tense is the form of verb that expresses an action that started somewhere in the past and was continuing up some point of time in the past. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject

Auxiliary Verb

Auxiliary        Main Verb Verb

I, We, You, They

had

 

been

drinking

coffee.

He, She

had

 

been

drinking

coffee.

I, We, You, They

had

not

been

drinking

coffee.

He, She

had

not

been

drinking

coffee.

Had

I, we, you, they

 

been

drinking

coffee?

Had

he, she

 

been

drinking

coffee?

Affirmative

 

Sub+had+been+v4+obj

 

Negative

 

Sub+had+not+been+v4+obj

 

Interrogative

 

Had+sub+been+v4+obj+?

 


This tense is used for an action that began at certain point in the past and continued up to that time.

When I came here two years ago, Mr. Aman had already been working there for six months. She had been trying to get him on the phone.

Grammar Focus: Simple Future Tense

The simple future tense is the time that will come after the present or the event that will happen then. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject

Auxiliary Verb

 

Main Verb

I, We, You, They

will

 

drink

coffee.

He, She, It

will

 

drink

coffee.

I, We, You, They

will

not

drink

coffee.

He, She It

will

not

drink

coffee.

Will

I, we, you, they

 

drink

coffee?

Will

he, she

 

drink

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+shall/will+v1+obj

 

 

 

Negative

Sub+shall/will+not+v1+obj

 

 

 

Interrogative

Shall/Will+sub+v1+obj+?

 

 

 

¦ This tense is used for an action that has still to take place.

I will go to Kathmandu next week. He will be married soon.

¦ It is used with ‘If clause’

If it rains, I won’t go to office.

If I pass the exam, I will have the job.

¦ I (don’t) think, I (don’t) expect, I am sure, probably + simple future tense.

I think, he will surely pass the exam. I am sure they will win the match.

I don’t think Raj will come to us.

¦ It is used with the following time adverbials.

She will go to Bangladesh tomorrow.

I will finish this work in a couple of days.

Grammar Focus: Future Continuous Tense

The future continuous tense is the time that expresses an ongoing action at a certain point in the future. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject                       Auxiliary Verb                             Main Verb

I, We, You, They

will

 

be

drinking

coffee.

He, She

will

 

be

drinking

coffee.


I, We, You, They

will

not

be

drinking

coffee.

He, She It

will

not

be

drinking

coffee.

Will

I, we, you, they

 

be

drinking

coffee?

Will

he, she

 

be

drinking

coffee?

Affirmative                                               Sub+shall/will+be+v4+obj

Negative                                               Sub+shall/will+not+be+v4+obj

Interrogative                                              Shall/Will+sub+be+v4+obj+?

¦ It is used for an action going on at some time in future.

They will be reading books all the morning tomorrow.

¦ It is used for future events that are planned.

He will be talking to us next week.

¦ It is used with following adverbials: at this time tomorrow, at this moment tomorrow, etc.

I will be reading in the class at this time tomorrow.

We will be playing cricket at this moment tomorrow.

Grammar Focus: Future Perfect Tense

The future perfect tense is the form of verb that expresses an action completed before a particular point in the future. Let’s observe the following table:

Subject

Auxiliary Verb                                              Main Verb

I, We, You, They

will

 

have

drunk

coffee.

He, She

will

 

have

drunk

coffee.

I, We, You, They

will

not

have

drunk

coffee.

He, She

will

not

have

drunk

coffee.

Will

I, we, you, they

 

have

drunk

coffee?

Will

he, she

 

have

drunk

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+shall/will+have+v3+obj

 

Negative

Sub+shall/will+not+have+v3+obj

 

Interrogative

Shall/Will+sub+have+v3+obj+?

 

¦ It is used to indicate the completion of action by a certain future time.

I will have finished the work by tomorrow. By 2018, she will have passed the exam.

Before you go to see her, she will have left home. I will have written a novel before March.

¦ By + time, before + time, in + period of time. We will have finished our higher studies by 2020. She will have finished painting before 2 o’clock.

Rona will have finished nursing in three years time.


Grammar Focus: Future Perfect Continuous Tense

This tense expresses a continued or ongoing action that will start in future and is thought to be continued till sometime in future.

 

Subject

Auxiliary Verb

Auxiliary                        Auxiliary Verb             Verb

 

Main

Verb

I, We, You,

They

will

 

have

been

drinking

coffee.

He, She

will

 

have

been

drinking

coffee.

I,    We,       You,

They

will

not

have

been

drinking

coffee.

He, She

will

not

have

been

drinking

coffee.

Will

I, we, you, they

 

have

been

drinking

coffee?

Will

he, she

 

have

been

drinking

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+shall/will+have+been+v4+obj

 

 

 

Negative

Sub+shall/will+not+have+been+v4+obj

 

 

 

Interrogative

Shall/Will+sub+have+been+v4+obj+?

 

 

 

¦ ‘By, before + future time’ and ‘for+ period of time’

By next year, she will have been teaching in the school for three years.

¦ ‘In + period of time’ and ‘for + period of time’

In two months, I will have been learning music for a year.

Grammar Focus: Going to Future Tense

This tense expresses an action that is going to take place in near future.

Let’s observe the following table:

Subject

Auxiliary Verb                                          Main Verb

We, You, They

are

 

going to

drink

coffee.

I

am

 

going to

drink

coffee.

He, She

is

 

going to

drink

coffee.

We, You, They

are

not

going to

drink

coffee.

I

am

not

going to

drink

coffee

He, She

is

not

going to

drink

coffee

Are

we, you, they

 

going to

drink

coffee?

Am

I

 

going to

drink

coffee?

Is

he, she

 

going to

drink

coffee?

Affirmative

Sub+is/am/are+going to+v1+obj

 

Negative

Sub+is/am/are+not+going to+v1+obj

 

Interrogative

Is/Am/Are+sub+going to+v1+obj+?

 


¦ Used to express intention.

I am going to be a driver.

I am going to have three apples.

¦ Used to describe that something is beyond our control.

He is going to die.

The fence is going to fall.

¦ Used for planned action.

I am going out. I am going to post some letters.

¦ Used without a time expression.

She is going to lend me her raincoat.


Grammar Focus: Summary of All Tenses

 

 

PERFECT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1     2

When she retired, she had worked all her life.

1     2

So, far,

she has worked

all her life.

1        2

When she retires, she will have worked all her life.

 

PERFECT PROGRESSIVE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1      2

When she retred,

she had been working

for 40 years.

1     2

 

She has been working

for 40 years.

1        2

When she retires, she will have been working for 40 years.

Grammar Focus: Tense Contrasts

A.                  When+ simple present, simple present/future First action-when clause

Second action-main clause that is the result of first action


When the teacher goes to the class, the students stand up. When I let student play, they will be happy.

B.                   When + simple past, past continuous

First action-main clause that has already been started

Second action-when clause that interrupts the first action When the teacher entered the class, the students were playing. He telephoned me, when I was reading.

C.                   When/by the time+ simple past, past perfect

First action-main clause in which one action had already completed before another

started

Second action-when clause

When the teacher entered the class, the students had already left. By the time I reached the station, the train had already gone.

D.                  While + past continuous , simple past First action-while clause

Second action-main clause

While it was snowing, they started their expedition. While they were discussing, I left for home.

E.                   Simple past + after, that, what, as soon as + past perfect First action-another clause

Second action-main clause

He arrived at the station after the train had gone.

He started crying as soon as he had heard of his father’s death.

F.                   Past perfect + by the time, before, until + simple past First action-main clause

Second action-another clause

The train had gone before he arrived at the station. The patient had died before the doctor arrived there.

G.                  If/unless + simple present, simple future: to talk about particular time in future

If he does n’t study, he’ll fail the exam. Unless you write to me, I won’t write to you.

H.                  As/when +simple past, simple past: one action caused another action

As I scolded him, he started crying. When I saw the principal, I ran away. She fell down when I pushed her.

I. While + past continuous, past continuous: two actions are happening at the same time

While I was studying, my brother was watching TV.

The class was going on while I was playing in the ground.

J. Going to/Present Continuous + time word

It is often possible to use either tense:

I’m seeing them tomorrow. I’m going to see them tomorrow. The going to future is very common, especially in conversation.

If there is doubt about which of the two futures to use, it is better to use  going    to. With the verbs go and come, it is better to use the  present  continuous.  Present continuous + time word is generally used for plans arranged for a  particular time in the future.


Grammar Focus: Common Errors

Incorrect                                                                               Correct

The ship drowned.

The ship sank.

There is only blue jelly beans left.

There are only blue jelly beans left.

He said that honesty was the best policy.

He said that honesty is the best policy.

Teacher said that the earth revolved around the sun.

Teacher said that the earth revolves around the sun.

I am so weak that I may not walk.

I am so weak that I cannot walk.

Tell me why are you abusing him.

Tell me why you are abusing him.

I wonder why don’t you listen to me.

I wonder why you don’t listen to me.

Alice as well as her sisters are beautiful.

Alice as well as her sisters is beautiful.

I am ill for two weeks.

I have been ill for two weeks.

I am waiting since morning.

I have been waiting since morning.

The economy grows again this year.

The economy is growing again this year.

They build a home next to mine.

They are building a home next to mine.

I had seen him yesterday.

I saw him yesterday.

I would want to buy a car if I got my raise.

I want to buy a car.

The doctor concluded that the man died twelve hours ago.

The doctor concluded that the man had died twelve hours ago.

We had gone to the pictures last night.

We went to the pictures last night.

I had been to New York recently.

I went to New York recently.

See that you will not do any damage.

See that you do not do any damage.

A.         Change the following sentences into different aspects of tense.

Tense                                                     Sentences                                               Sentences

Simple Present

Krishal drives a car.

Krishala teaches students.

Present Continuous

 

 

Present Perfect

 

 

Present Perfect Continuous

 

 

Simple Past

 

 

Past Continuous

 

 

Past Perfect

 

 

Past Perfect Continuous

 

 

Simple Future

 

 

Future Continuous

 

 

Future Perfect

 

 

Future Perfect Continuous

 

 


B.         Change the following sentences into different aspects of tense.

Tense                                                                  Sentences                                                           Sentences

Simple Present

The workers plant trees.

Mr. Rai works in office.

Present Continuous

 

 

Present Perfect

 

 

Present Perfect Continuous

 

 

Simple Past

 

 

Past Continuous

 

 

Past Perfect

 

 

Past Perfect Continuous

 

 

Simple Future

 

 

Future Continuous

 

 

Future Perfect

 

 

Future Perfect Continuous

 

 

C.        Change the following sentence into different aspects of tense

 

Tense                                                                  Sentences                                                           Sentences

Simple Present

Min polishes his shoes.

The dog eats bones.

Present Continuous

 

 

Present Perfect

 

 

Present Perfect Continuous

 

 

Simple Past

 

 

Past Continuous

 

 

Past Perfect

 

 

Past Perfect Continuous

 

 

Simple Future

 

 

Future Continuous

 

 

Future Perfect

 

 

Future Perfect Continuous

 

 


D.         Supply correct tenses to complete these sentences.

These monkeys (like) bananas? They (not go) to school everyday. Denish (not collect) stamps. The children (go) to bed at eight o’clock. The earth (go) around the sun. Rohit (leave) the office every day at five.

It often (snow) in winter. I’m sorry I can’t talk to you now. I (go) out. We (wash) our hands with water. They (work) in London at the moment?

They (eat) three meals a day.         Suk Dev (drive) to the office every day?

He (type) very fast?        The students (go) to the seashore now.

Lavish (work) at the court. John (listen) to the radio at the moment? Babies (sleep) during the day? Your parents (sit) in the garden now?

He (always make) the same mistake. (They ever live) in a foreign country? Listen! The baby (cry) now. They (meet) the President.

It (rain) now for an hour.               I (never be) to Biratnagar.

She generally (sing) in Hindi. She (go) home three days ago. Don’t cross the road! The bus (come). I (meet) Mr. and Mrs. Regmi. We (learn) something at this moment. She (start) school in 1984.

Everyone (make) mistakes.         He (see) the film before.

Winter (not come) after spring.       (You be) to Amargadi fort?

Pemba (speak) English very well. The film (start) every night at eight o’clock My dog (bark) very loudly. They (not go) to the cinema very often.

Ram (still sleep). He is sick. (You go) into the office every month? Look! Somebody (knock) at the door. I (not study) at the moment.

Don’t speak! He (read) a story book. I (buy) some new clothes last week. My study (go) well gradually. What time (they come) last night? Ram (live) in a flat for three months. I (not understand) his question.

Hurry up! It (get) late.             I (think) he was wrong.

Wait! A bus (come). (You eat) a lot at the party? Karma (study) science in the university. I (not catch) the bus this morning. My parents (arrive) tomorrow. I (forget) my keys yesterday.

Menuka (not try) to disturb other. (They tell) you about the meeting? Eagles (fly) high in the sky. Peter (do) the washing-up last night.

My mother (cook) our meals.      They (not drink) anything at the disco.

Rubin (always wear) glasses.             I (put) your suitcase in your bedroom.

Ducks (love) water.          We (not know) it was your birthday.


E.        Supply correct tenses to complete the following sentences.

The sun (rise) in the east. (You go) to the office yesterday? The children (not go) to school by bus. (You ever be) to Ramechhap?

Yamuna (enjoy) singing.  You (go) to work by car?

Jeevan (not lend) me his bike.        I (not watch) television every night.

He (never agree) to your idea. I (not watch) television at this moment. You (never see) your money again. We (see) our parents every week.

What’s the matter?  I (talk) to the doctor. (You listen) to the radio now? I (not get up) at 7:00 am every morning. I (work) here for seven years.

Pratik (talk) to Surya now.  This is the nicest restaurant I (ever see).

I (see) this film twice before. Three people (leave) the company this week. They (work) in the restaurant now. I (already write) three letters.

She (listen) to the radio at the moment. These boys (play) since morning. She (never work) in an office so far. I (never see) that film before.

I (never be) in an aeroplane before. Someone (knock down) your front gate. (He ever be) to Ganga Jamuna Waterfalls? It’s the first time I (be) here.

(You met) my parents? You (not eat) Indonesian food. (You ever work) in the theatre? You ( not do) your homework yet.

(You see) that new film about aliens? This is the fourth time he (damage) my car. We (never be) abroad so far. You a shave! (have)

They (never see) a policeman before. She’s got the best voice I (ever hear). (You see) the film on TV last night? She (just go out).

When (you arrive) in Budhathum? He (wait) here since eight o’clock. John (be) to Germany before. The PM (ask) for a meeting.

(You read) this novel before? This is the first time I (be) on a plane.

I (not see) him yesterday.   I’m sorry; she’s gone to her home. (already)

(You hear) their new record? I have done my homework. (not yet) I (not know) about the disco last night. I already (tell) her about it.

I (read) that book three times.  You (just miss) her.

She already (act) in films.   We (walk) for three hours.

I (go) to the zoo tomorrow.     At the age of 30, I (visit) Japan twice.


F.          Supply correct tenses to complete the following sentences.

I (leave) the office early last night.             I (not finish) my work yet.

The company (not give) you holiday. He (already say) about his father. I never (go) anywhere by plane until now. I (not explain) you yet.

I (work) here for six years.      Have you got your passport? (already)

I (live) here for three months. He’s told me that he’s got the bag. (just) I (work) in this factory since 2005. What (you do) today? I (play) tennis.

He (be) abroad for five years. How long (you study) English? Ramit (live) here since he was a child. Oh, Dinesh! I (look) for you!

I (live) here since childhood.   Parbat (live) here for twenty-five years.

I (know) them for years. I’m tired. We (walk) all day. We (practise) basketball for three months. How long (you learn) to drive? I (study) maths for 3 years but then I left. I (wait) here for ages.

She (work) for me since she left school. She’s stressed because she (work) too hard. We (have) two holidays this year. They (watch) football since three o’clock.’

I (live) here since I was a little girl. Why (you see) them so much recently? He (be) in prison now for three years. They look exhausted. What (they do)?

I (not see) him since he left the office.             I should pass the exam. I (study) for weeks.


I (not see) her for several years and then I

met her again.


Where (be) Ram (go) when we (talk) with

him?


We (live) in Budhathum for a long time             I (just speak) to your mother on the phone.

 

I (work) here since I was eighteen.        She (take) rest since morning.

When (you) phone her?             I (be) there by the end of this month.

(They not) stay very long. He (pay) his fee when he (save) up money. What (you) say to your father? When I (make) tea, I served it to the guests. I (not pay) anything. He (work) in school for 10 years.

Raj rarely (drink) at the party.     They called me when I (read).

Nir fell down when I (push) him. When I saw the dog, I (run) away. Did you (meet) her at the party? She often (go) to temple.

He (just get) his bag.       You (already get) your passport.


G.         Supply correct tense to complete these sentences.

We (play) tennis tomorrow. He (lose) his calculator. It is not in his bag. She (live) in Manang for a few months. He (fly) to Hong Kong next month.

(Your parents) have a holiday this year? While they (go) home, they saw an accident. They (borrow) some money from the bank. He denied that he (steal) those apples.

When it rained, he (listen) to the music.    He talks as if he (know) everything.

I (not eat) there again.    He told us that he (go) to Palpa for a holiday.

I (open) the window for you.      I (live) there since 2010.

John (phone) your office for you. I (look) at the picture for 30 minutes. While I (be) writing, he asked me to help. I (phone) Amrita but she (go) out to lunch. I’m sure he (not be) late. While (travel) on the bus I met my wife.

I think she (be) in her home next week.    He (be) to Europe by 2030.

While they were planting rice it (rain) hard. We (write) a poem at this time yesterday. (There be) a lot of people at the meeting? My father (come) tomorrow.

What time (the race start?)    He barely (walk) fast.

By the time we reached home, it (be) dark. I (just arrive) from the station. My bag (be) very beautiful. I (not be) to Pokhara  so far.

He (not come) back if it rains. She (just come) from shool.

❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html