-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

Conditional Sentences

A conditional sentence is a complex sentence with a subordinate clause of condition that usually begins with a conjunction.

If-clause indicates the conditions under which the action in the main clause may be realized. If Conditional sentences are usually divided into four main types:

•       General or scientific conditions

•       Real condition (first type of conditional sentences)

•       Unreal condition referring to the present or future (second type of conditional sentences)

•       Unreal condition referring to the past (third type of conditional sentences).

 

 

Formulation: If + Simple present, Simple present.

-    If water is heated to 100oC, it boils.

-    Jill always answers the phone if she is in office. [Genel yapılan bir davranıştan bahsedilyor.]

-    If you park your car on double yellow lines, you pay a fine.

-    If you select reverse gear, the car goes backwards.

 

“Zero conditional”, is also possible to use “when” instead of “if”.

-    When demand for a product rises, its prise rises too.

-    When we exercise, our body naturally produces heat.


 

Conditional sentences with real condition express real, true to fact / factual conditions under which the action in the main clause can be realized. In most cases, conditions in the future are expressed, but other situations and tenses are also possible. Note that the future tense with the verb “Will” is not allowed after “if” in clauses of condition. The future idea is usually expressed by the Simple Present in the if-clause of condition. Şu an veya gelecekte olabilecek durumlar için kullanılır. Present or Future, 50% Probability.

 

 

If + present tense,

If + subject + can /should + V, Should + subject + V,

If + Present Perfect Tense,

 

 

+

Present tenses.

s + will /may /can /should + Verb. s + must /have to /has to + Verb.

s + would rather / had better + Verb. s + could /might + Verb.

imperative (don’t) sentences.

 

Example:

-    If he studies hard, he will /may /can /should pass the exams.

-    If you call him, he will come here.

-    If you come, I can see you.

-    If it is fine, we will go for a swim.

-    If I have enough time tonight, I will help you.

-    They will bring his book if they find it.

-    If you want to pass your exams, you must /have to study.

-    You may go home if you finish your work.

 

“Will” and “Would” after “if”

“Will” can be used after “if” to make a polite request to do something.

“Would” can be used after “if” to express a very polite request to do something, especially in formal style.

 

Though such constructions are in the form of conditional sentences, there is actually no condition in them, and the verb “will” (or “would”) after “if” in such constructions expresses volition to do something, i.e., if you will / if you would = if you wish, if you want.

-    If you will wait here, the doctor will see you as soon as he is free.

-    If you would kindly wait here, I would be very much obliged to you.

-    I would be very grateful if you would send me your catalogue.

 

Also, “will” can be used after “if” in such constructions to insist strongly on doing something, to refuse to do something, or to emphasize the result of the future action.

-    If you go on smoking so much, you will ruin your health.

If you will go on smoking so much, you will ruin your health.

-    If Mike doesn't help her, Tom will help her. If Mike won't help her, Tom will.

-    I can make your favorite cherry pie for you if you buy sugar on your way home. I can make your favorite cherry pie for you if it will make you feel better.


Special Note: We do not use “will” in an “if clause” to describe future activities (compare it to time clauses). If clause’ın bulunduğu cümlede genelde “will” kullanılmaz. “Will” yerine günlük İngilizce’de “going to”; resmi İngilizce’de ise “to be to” kullanılır.

 

Should:

“Should + Subject + V” yapısında soru işaretine bakılır. Soru işareti yoksa Type-1 söz konusudur. “Should” yapısında, iki cümle olduğu unutulmamalıdır.

-    If you should decide to join us, please give me a ring. Should you decide to join us, please give me a ring.

-    Should anyone call, please take a message.

-    Should the pains come again, don’t hestitate to phone me.

-    Should it rain, there will be no picnic today. (= If it should rain, there will be no picnic today.)

-    Should she arrive, ask her to wait.

-    Should she fail the test, she will lose her job. (= If she should fail the test, she will lose her job.)

 

To be to V – in Type-1

Is to, is to be; are to, are to be

If claueses may contain “Be + to + infitive.” (am to, is to, are to) This structure is used to indicate purpose.

-    A student must study hard if he is to succeed. [Başarılı olacaksa]

A student must study hard if he wants to succeed. [Başarılı olmak istiyorsa] A student must study hard in order to succeed. [Başarılı olması için]

 

-    Tough new measures are necessary if inflation is to be brought under control. [Enflasyon kontrol altına alınacaksa; … alınması isteniyorsa, alınması için] Tough new measures are necessary in order to bring inflation under control.

 

-    New jobs must be created if poverty is to be eliminated. New jobs must be created in order to eliminate poverty.

 

-    Family planning is essential if population growth is to be curbed.

[Nüfuz artışı dizginlenecekse, dizginlenmesi isteniyorsa, dizginlenmesi için] Family planning is essential to curb population growth.

 

We can have a modal verb, typically “can, may or should”, in the if-clause or main clause, as well as going to future or present continuous future. Present perfect is also possible in the if-clause.

-      If you can't understand the instructions, you'll never be able to assemble the wardrobe.

-      If I give you ten pounds, could you get me some wine at the supermarket?

-      If you've finished the work I gave you, you may go home now.

-      If the weather's good on Sunday, we're going to have a picnic in Hyde Park.

-    If you're going to write him a cheque, make sure there's enough money in your account to cover it.

-      If you're coming clubbing with us tonight, you'd better get ready now.

In this final example, note that “had better” is not a past tense. It refers to the immediate future and we use it to give strong advice as the preferred alternative to must, ought to or should.


 

There are various types of supposition, for example, hypothesis, assumption, possibility, probability. Also, suggestions, offers, and polite requests are often made in suppositional form. Conditional sentences with unreal condition in the subordinate clause of condition (if-clause) express hypothetical, unlikely, improbable, unreal, contrary to fact conditions under which the action in the main clause might be realized. The Past Subjunctive is used in the subordinate clause to express unreal condition in the present or future. Şu an veya gelecekte olmayacak şeyler için kullanılır. Present or Future, 0% Probability, Unreal.

 

The construction would + simple infinitive (without "to") is used in the main clause. In speech, “Would” may be contracted to 'd.

If + past tense

If + subject + could + Verb

 

+

 

Subject

would could

might

 

V

 

-    If he studied hard, he would pass his exam.

-    If I had some time, I would tidy up my office. (I don’t have any time this week.)

-    If she came tomorrow, we might have a good time.

-    I would call him now if I knew his telephone number. (I don't know his telephone number.)

-    If she had friends, she would not feel so lonely. (But she doesn't have friends.)

-    If I had enough time tonight, I'd help you. (If I had enough time tonight, I would help you.)

-    If he repaired his car tomorrow, he would go to the summer house on Friday.

-    Ella would be disappointed if we didn't come to her party tomorrow.

-    What would you do if you found a thousand dollars on the street?

-    If I found a thousand dollars on the street, I would buy presents and sweets for  all the children in our apartment house.

-    If you could build a time machine and go back to Earth's distant past, you'd get a nasty surprise. You wouldn't be able to breathe the air. Unless you had some breathing apparatus, you would asphyxiate within minutes.

-    If I could go back in time, I would tell her that she was so beautiful and perfect.

 

Note: We can substitute “could or might” for “would” (“should, may or must” are sometimes possible, too)


The verb “be” (were) in the Past Subjunctive

The verb “be” in the if-clauses with unreal condition referring to the present or future is used in the form “were” for all persons. “Were” is the form of the verb “be” in the Past Subjunctive. The correct form of the verb “to be” to use in Type-2 is “were” for all pronoouns. In some cases “was” is acceptable, but it is better to keep it to “were” to ensure you are always correct. The form “was” may be used in informal everyday speech for the first and third person in the singular, especially in British English.

-    If I were rich, I would take a trip around the world. (But I'm not rich.)

-    If she were at home, she would pick up the phone.

-    If I were you, I'd do it. (If I were you, I would do it.)

-    What would you do if you lost your job? – What would you do if you were to lose your job?

-    If it weren’t so cold, we would not go playing football.

-    If I were to meet him again, I would tell him the truth.

 

If I were you     = were I you                        [ Soru işareti olmayan soru cümlesi if cümlesidir.]

-    Were I to meet him again, I would tell him the truth.

-    Were he to do it = if he were to do it. [onu yapacak olsa]

-    Were he to have done it = if he we to have done it.

-    I don’t have a pen, but if I …, I would lend it to you. [did]

-    The wheather is cold today, but if it weren’t, I would go swimming.

 

The phrase "If I were you" which is often used for giving advice is the same in the second and third types of if-clauses with unreal condition.

-    If I were you, I would buy a new car.

-    If I were you, I would have bought a new car a long time ago.

 

Note: if I were in your shoes. Sizin yerinizde olsam.


 

The third conditional sentences always refer to the past. A past situation is too late and zero possibility. Geçmişte olmayacak şeyler için kullanılır. To show unreal condition in the past, the verb in the subordinate clause is used in the Past Perfect Subjunctive, which is the same in form as the Past Perfect (e.g., had known, had wanted). The construction would + perfect infinitive (i.e., would + have + past participle) is used in the main clause. “Had” and “would” may be contracted to “ 'd “ in speech.

 

If + past perfect, Had Subject V3 ,

 

If + past perfect continuous, Had Subject been Ving ,

 

If Subject could have V3 ,

 

 

 

+

 

 

s + would have s + could have s + might have

 

 

 

V3

 

Example:

-    If you had locked your bike, it wouldn’t have been stolen. Had you locked your bike, it wouldn’t have been stolen.

-    If I hadn't been looking at the trees, I wouldn’t have fallen off the bike. (I was looking at the trees when I fell off the bike.)

Hadn't I been looking at the trees, I wouldn’t have fallen off the bike.

 

-    If you had told the truth, perhaps, she wouldn’t have been so angry

-    If we hadn't practised, we wouldn't have won the match. (But we practised and won.)

-    If we had saved some money, we might have bought the house. (We didn't save any money.)

-    If you had studied more, you would have passed your exam.

-    If you had eaten to much, you would have been ill

-    It would have been better if they had been invited.

-    George would certainly have attended the meeting had he not had a flat tire.

-    If I had known his telephone number then, I would have called him. (But I didn't know his telephone number then, and I didn't call him.)

-    If she had wanted to visit us yesterday, she would have found the time for it.

-    If he had asked her to help him before his exam, she would certainly have helped him.

-    If you'd asked him, he'd have helped you. (If you had asked him, he would have helped you.)

-    If I'd had enough time yesterday, I'd have done it. (If I had had enough time yesterday, I would have done it.)

-    What would he have done if he hadn't been sick last week?

-    If he hadn't been sick last week, he would have gone to the lake with his friends.

-    We would have gone to the park yesterday if it had not been raining so hard.


 

This usually refers to a future event which is conditional on another future event.

We can use the open conditional to talk about cause and effect. We can use “if” and “when” in open conditional. In open conditionals, the main clause can come first. In open conditionals, one verb is in the present tense.

 

The open conditional statement:

-      If I go to London, I can visit the British Museum.

-      If you visit Scotland, you should visit Edinburgh Castle.

 

The open hypothetical conditional statement:

-    If I went to London, I would / could visit the British Museum.

-    If you visited Scotland, you could see Edinburgh Castle.

-      Unless the directors increased sales, we'd have to close this shop.

 

The unfulfilled hypothesis

-    If you had eaten too much, you'd (you would) have got fatter.

-    You'd have got fatter if you'd eaten too much.

-    If everyone had worked fast, we'd have finished in time (but we didn't).

-    We wouldn't have finished in time unless everyone had worked fast (but we did).

-    If I had gone to London, I could have visited the British Museum (but I didn't).

-    If you had visited Scotland, you could have visited Edinburgh Castle (but you didn't).

 

-    If we have calculated correctly, the answer is 569.

-    If it was raining that day, the wedding was sure to be spoiled.

-    If what Geoge said was true, Marilyn had almost certainly left town last night.

-    If the prisoner escaped, he did so with the help of a guard.

-    If it rains, we will cancel the outing. (Type 1.)

-    If you're sure he'll soon be here, I'll wait a little longer. (Type 1.)

 

Ambiguity is possible between the two types:

-    If he lost the key to the car, he would have his wife bring the copy from home.


 

Modal verbs “Could” and “Might” are often used in the main clause of conditional sentences with unreal condition, and “Could” is sometimes used in the if-clause with unreal condition. The verb “May” is generally not used in conditional sentences with unreal condition.

-    If we left before five, we could catch the six o'clock train.

-    If we had left before five, we could have caught the six o'clock train. (We didn't leave before five, and we didn't catch the six o'clock train.)

-    If he hadn't met Maria, he might have remained a bachelor.

-    If I could ask him about it, I would certainly do so.

-    She might get a better job if she could speak English.

 

 

“Should” can be used after IF in clauses with real or unreal condition referring to the future to show that the indicated action is even less likely to happen. “Should” adds more uncertainty to  the supposition about the indicated condition.

Real condition (first type):

-    If he comes before five o'clock, I will ask him to wait for you.

If he should come before five o'clock, I will ask him to wait for you.

 

Unreal condition (second type):

-    If he came before five o'clock, I would be very surprised.

If he should come before five o'clock, I would be very surprised.

 

“Should” in the main clause:

Constructions like "If you asked me, I would help you" (unreal condition in the present or future) and "If you had asked us, we would have helped you" (unreal condition in the past) are standard constructions used in conditional sentences with unreal condition.

 

Constructions like "If you asked me, I should help you" and "If you had asked us, we should have helped you" are also used in British English. In such constructions, “Should” after the pronouns I and WE in the main clause has the same meaning as “Would”.

 

If you should… / if you happen to…

Note that we use should in the if-clause in the first conditional if we want to suggest that something is very unlikely. We can use happen to in a similar way or even combine them:

-    If you should / (happen to) change your mind about coming to the beach tomorrow, give me a ring.

-      I don't expect him to, but if he should /(happen to) show up, whatever you do, don't let him in!


 

The conjunction “if” is sometimes omitted in the conditional sentences in which the if-clause contains “Should”, “Were” or “Had”. In such cases, “Should”, “Were” or “Had”. is moved to the beginning of the sentence and stands before the subject of the if-clause. In the negative sentences without “If”, the negative particle “Not” is not contracted with the auxiliary verb and stands after the subject of the subordinate clause. Examples of conditional sentences with and without the conjunction “If”:

 

Real condition (first type):

-    If Mr. Rox should call, ask him to call me again after five.

-    Should Mr. Rox call, ask him to call me again after five.

 

Unreal condition (second type):

-    If you should want to go to a restaurant, I would be glad.

-    Should you want to go to a restaurant, I would be glad.

-    If I were younger, I would go to the mountains with you.

-    Were I younger, I would go to the mountains with you.

 

Unreal condition (second type, negative form):

-    If I weren't so tired, I would help you.

-    Were I not so tired, I would help you.

 

Unreal condition (third type):

-    If he had known about it, he would have refused to go there.

-    Had he known about it, he would have refused to go there.

 

Unreal condition (third type, negative form):

-    If he hadn't known about it, he would have agreed to go there.

-    Had he not known about it, he would have agreed to go there.


 

Generally, both parts of conditional sentences with unreal condition refer to the same time. But there may be cases in which one part refers to the present or future, and the other part refers to the past. Such constructions are called mixed conditionals.

 

 

When the condition refers to the past, but the consequence refers to the present. With this combination we are contrasting an imagined or real event in the past with the present result of that.

-    If I hadn't married Kelly, I wouldn't be living in Scotland now.

-    Isn’t it good luck? Had I caught the plane that evening, I wouldn’t be alive now. (Had … ile başlayan cümlenin sonunda soru işareti olmadığından conditional cümledir.)

-    If you had done your job properly, we wouldn't be in this mess now.

-    If I had taken French in high school, I would have more job opportunities.

But I didn't take French in high school and I don't have many job opportunities.

-    If she had been born in the United States, she wouldn't need a visa to work here. But she wasn't born in the United States and she does need a visa now to work here.

-    If we had built a subway 10 years ago, the traffic wouldn’t be so bad today.

-    If had passed my exams last year, I would not have to follow this course now.

-    If he'd taken the medication as prescribed, he wouldn't still be lying sick in bed now.

-    If she'd taken reasonable precautions, she wouldn't be pregnant now.

-    If he hadn't run after the car thief and suffered a heart attack, he'd probably be alive today.

 

Note that we can also convey the same idea of past event and present result by using type 3 conditional (if + past perfect, would've + past participle) in both clauses

-      If he'd taken the medication as the doctor ordered, he would've recovered by now.

-      If she'd taken reasonable precautions, she wouldn't have got herself pregnant.

-    If he hadn't run after the car thief and suffered a heart attack, he wouldn't have collapsed and died.

Note that we use this type of conditional when we regret past action or inaction.


 

The other possibility, though I think this is less common, is when we have a type 2 conditional in the if-clause (if + past simple) followed by a type 3 conditional (would've + past participle) in the main clause. With this combination, we are describing ongoing circumstances in relation to a previous past event.

When the condition refers to the present, but the consequence refers to the past.

-    If he were your real friend, he would have helped you yesterday.

-    If I didn't have to work so much, I would have gone to the party last night. But I have to work a lot and that is why I didn't go to the party last night.

-    If you weren't such a poor dancer, you would've got a job in the chorus line in that musical.

-      If you weren't so blind to his faults, you would've realised that he was out to swindle you.

-      He's old enough to come home by himself, but can you just see him across the busy road?

 

 

When the condition refers to the past, but the consequence refers to the future.

-    If the old bridge over the river hadn’t collapsed last spring, we would celebrate the 200th anniversary of its construction next week.

-    If Mark had gotten the job instead of Joe, he would be moving to Shanghai. But Mark didn't get the job and Mark is not going to move to Shanghai.

-    If she had signed up for the ski trip last week, she would be joining us tomorrow.

But she didn't sign up for the ski trip last week and she isn't going to join us tomorrow.

-    If Darren hadn't wasted his Christmas bonus gambling in Las Vegas, he would go to Mexico with us next month.

But Darren wasted his Christmas bonus gambling in Las Vegas and he won't go to Mexico with us next month.

 

 

 

When the condition refers to the present, but the consequence refers to the future.

-    If my parents weren't coming this weekend, I would have planned a nice trip just for the two of us to Napa Valley.

But my parents are going to come this weekend, and that is why I didn't plan a trip for the two of us to Napa Valley.

-    If I weren't going on my business trip next week, I would have accepted that new assignment at work.

But I am going to go on a business trip next week, and that is why I didn't accept that new assignment at work.

-    If Donna weren't making us a big dinner tonight, I would have suggested that we go to that nice Italian restaurant.

But she is going to make us a big dinner tonight, and that is why I didn't suggest that we go to that nice Italian restaurant.


 

 

When the condition refers to the present, but the consequence refers to the future.

-    If I didn't have so much vacation time, I wouldn't go with you on the cruise to Alaska next week.

But I do have a lot of vacation time and I will go on the trip next week.

-    If Cindy were more creative, the company would send her to New York to work on the new advertising campaign.

But Cindy is not creative and the company won't send her to New York to work on the new campaign.

-    If Dan weren't so nice, he wouldn't be tutoring you in math tonight. But Dan is nice and he is going to tutor you tonight.

 

 

When the condition refers to the future, but the consequence refers to the present.

-    If she didn't come with us to the desert, everyone would be very disappointed. But she will come with us to the desert and that is why everyone is so happy.

-    If I were going to that concert tonight, I would be very excited.

But I am not going to go to that concert tonight and that is why I am not excited.

-    If Sandy were giving a speech tomorrow, she would be very nervous.

But Sandy is not going to give a speech tomorrow and that is why she in not nervous.

 

 

Subject

would /could /might V

,

but

Present /Future

Subject

would /could /might + have V3

,

But

Past

 

-    I could help you, but I am busy. Size yardım ederdim fakat meşgulüm.

-    I could help you if I weren’t busy.

-    I would have helped you, but I was busy.

-    I would have helped you if I hadn’t been busy.

-    I would have gone, but I had to study.

 

 

Present /Future

.

Otherwise

Subject

would /could /might + Verb

Past

.

Otherwise

Subject

would /could /might + Verb

 

-    I was busy. Otherwise I would have helped you.


 

We use inverted word order to express unreal or impossible condition in the past. Instead, we are obliged to use the full form of not:

-    Had it not rained last Saturday, we would've celebrated Tom's birthday with a barbecue in the garden.

-      Had you not refused my invitation, you would've had the best holiday ever.

 

Of course, “had” we used the more normal if-clause to express this conditional idea, the contracted negative form would have been the norm:

-      If only it hadn't rained last Saturday, we would've had a wonderful holiday in the garden.

-    If you hadn't been so stupid as to refuse my invitation, you could've travelled to see all the wonders of the world.

 

Note that we use these tense forms to talk about something that might have happened, but didn't:

-      If it had stayed fine, they would've celebrated the birthday in the garden.

-      If she had accepted the invitation, she would've seen all the wonders of the world.

 

Type III yapısında devrik cümle yapabilmek için “Had +Özne” kullanılır

-    If the teacher had helped me, I wouldn’t have had to go the library. Had the teacher helped me, I wouldn’t have had to go the library.

-    If they had informed me before, they wouldn’t have still been waiting there. Had they informed me before, they wouldn’t have still been waiting there.

 

 

We can also use the inversion structure with “should” when we are talking about present and future conditions and, again, negative forms are not contracted:

-      Should you not wish to sign the contract, you must let them know before the end of June.

-      Should you change your mind about selling the car, I'd be happy to buy it from you.

Note that use of should here has nothing to do with obligation, but is simply an alternative to the present

 

simple in the more normal if-clause:

-    If you don't want to go ahead and sign the contract, please try to let them know before the end of this month.

-      If you (do) change your mind about selling the car, I'd be happy to buy it from you.


Type I yapısında devrik cümle yapabilmek için “Should +Özne” kullanılır. Anlamda bir değişiklik olmaz.

-    If we go by train, it will be cheaper. Should we go by train, it will be cheaper.

-    If he doesn’t hurry, he will be late. Should he not hurry, he will be late.

-    If the weather is rainy, we will stay at home. Should the weather be rainy, we will stay at home.

 

 

Finally, inversion is possible, though I think less common, with this form of the conditional when we are talking about the improbable future. Again negative forms are not contracted:

-      Were we to have children, we'd need to move to a bigger house.

-      Were she not my daughter, I'd have no hesitation in phoning the police.

 

The more normal if-clause is here quite straightforward:

-      If we were to have children, we'd certainly need to move to a larger house.

-    If she weren't my daughter, I'd have no hesitation in phoning the police and telling them about the crime that has been committed.

 

Type II yapısında devrik cümle yapabilmek için “be” fiili için “were +Özne” ya da diğer fiiller için “were +Özne + to do” kullanılır.

-    If I were a carpenter, I would build my own house. Were I a carpenter, I would build my own house.

-    If I had a map I would lend it to you. Were I to have a map I would lend it to you.

 

But for..., meaning Except for?, as an alternative to Had it not been for? or Were it not for?:

-    Had it not been for his foresight in ensuring everybody had lifejackets, everyone on board would have drowned.

-      But for his foresight, everyone on board the yacht would have drowned.

-      Were it not for your kindness, I'd still be living in that tiny bed-sit in the town centre.

-      But for your kindness, I'd still be stuck in that tiny flat in the town centre.

 

 

Should he do it, . = If he does it, . Were he to do it, . = If he were to do it, .

Were he to have done it,                         . = If he were to have done it,                         .

Had he done it,        . = If he had one it,        . If you did it,                .  pasif yapısı   If it were done,           Have he been doing it,      .= If he have been doing it,        .

Should he have done it,                         . = If he should have done it,                          


 

If, as long as so long as                          : olursa, olduğu sürece

Only if, Provided (that), Providing (that) : Olduğu takdirde, ancak … olursa (tek şart) Unless, If not : Olmadıkca

As if, As though                          : Sanki, olmuş gibi

Suppose that, Supposing that : Varsayalım ki oldu, farzedesek oldu ( if ) Just as : tam olurken

Just as                          : Tıpkı … gibi, tam … gibi, tam … yaparken

What if                          : Farz edelim oldu, olmaz ise, ne olur (Soru cümlesi)

On condition that                          : Olması şartıyla

If only                          : keşke, eğer sadece

Once                          : olur olmaz, hemen (as soon as),

While                          : olurken,

After                          : olduktan sonra,

When                          : olduğunda

…, so that …                                 : olsun diye

 

But for + noun /pronoun, If not for + noun /pronoun: Olmasaydı, olmaz ise In condition of + noun: koşuluyla

 

We can use the alternatives to “if” to emphasize the conditions surrounding the action, i.e. one thing will happen only if another thing happens.

 

If: Olursa

As long as: Olduğu sürece, şartıyla, yeter ki So long as: Oldukça, olduğu sürece

Note: “as long as: medikce” anlamı da mevcuttur. Olumlu anlam ifade eder. “So long as” ise olumsuz anlam belirtir.

-    I’ll never forget today as long as I live. Yaşadığım sürece bugünü hiç unutmayacağım.

-    I am happy as long as you are with me.

-    You shall never enter this house as long as I live in it. Yaşadığım sürece bu eve asla girmeyeceksin.

-    You can pass the exam so long as you study hard. Sıkı çalıştığın sürece sınavı geçebilirsin.

-    Ford famously said of his cars: “You could have any colour you wanted so long as it was black.

-    Export cannot gain momentum so long as the dollar cannot be held in control. Dolar control altında tutulmadıkca ihracat hız kazanamaz.


Only if, Provided (that),

Providing (that): Olduğu takdirde, ancak … olursa (tek şart)

“Only if” cümle başına geldiğinde basit cümlede kendi bulunduğu Claues’u; kompleks cümlede diğer Clause’u devirir.

By + Ving            : tek yollu olarak “only if” dir.

-    You can pass the exam provided that you study hard. Sıkı çalıştığın takdirde sınavı geçebilirsin.

-    I will accept this job offer provided the salary meets my expectation. Bu işi ancak maaş beklentilerimi karşılarsa kabul ederim.

-    You can borrow the car provided that you promise to drive carefully.

-    Providing (that) the weather is fine, we'll have a picnic on Saturday.

-    We will lend you the money provided (that) you can repay it within 12 months.

-    I don’t mind talking to the press, but only if my identity is protected.

 

Unless,

If not    : Olmadıkca

Unless is used to say that something will happen or be true if something else does not happen or is not true.

“Unless” olumlu cümleyi olumsuz yapar. Sınavda cümle tamamlama kısmında ya da grammar sorusunda olumsuz bir “clause” ile aşağıdaki bağlaçların önceliği vardır;

-    They can’t pass the exam unless they study. They can’t pass the exam if they don’t study.

-    Unless you leave home at once, you will be late for work. Derhal evden çıkmazsan, işe geç kalacaksın.

-    Germany led the way, along with other richer eurozone members, and refused to give Athens more financial aid unless it agrees to more reforms.

 

-    Unless international cooperation is ensured to ban the non-essential uses of some chemicals, the depletion of the ozone layer will continue to pose a serious threat to human health.

Bazı kimyasalların gereksiz kullanımlarını yasaklamak için uluslararası iş birliği sağlanmazsa ozon tabakasının incelmesi, insan sağlığı için ciddi bir tehdit oluşturmaya devam edecektir.


As if,

As though: Sanki, olmuş gibi

“As if” veya “as though” kullanarak birinin ya da birşeyin nasıl göründüğü (look), nasıl hissedildiği (feel), nasıl ses verdiği (sound) anlatılabilir. Birlikte kullanılan diğer fiiller ise appear, act, behave, and pretend, look, seen. “as if” ve “as though” kendinden önce bir takım davranış ve benzetme fiilleri ister. “As if” den sonra geçmiş zaman kullanabilir, fakat anlam geçmiş zaman olmaz. Düşüncenin gerçek olmadığı bu şekilde ifade edilmiş olur.

-    The woman walks as though she were the queen. (Kadın kraliçeymiş gibi yürüyor.)

-    It’s dark as though it were night. (Hava geceymiş gibi karanlık.)

-    They stared at me as if I was crazy. Sanki çıldırmışım gibi bana hayretle baktılar.

-    They looked at me as if I was mad. Deliymişim gibi bana baktılar.

-    He behaved as if nothing had happened. Sanki hiç birşey olmamış gibi davrandı.

-    The house looked as if nobody was living in it. Ev sanki hiç kimse yaşamıyormuş gibi görünüyor.

-    I have just come from holiday and I am very exhausted. I feel as if I haven't had a holiday. Tatilden şimdi döndüm ve çok bitkinim. Sanki tatil yapmamışım gibi hissediyorum.

-    I'm hungry as if I haven't eaten anything for days. Günlerdir hiçbir şey yememiş gibi açım.

-    They behave well towards me as though they love me very much. Bana beni çok seviyorlarmış gibi iyi davrandılar.

-    The baby looks as though it is going to cry. (Bebek sanki ağlayacak gibi görünüyor.)

-    The music is too loud. It sounds (as though) they are having a party. Müziğin  sesi çok yüksek. Onun sesi sanki parti yapıyorlarmış gibi geliyor. Bu yapıda cümle “it” öznesiyle başlar ve it looks, it sounds, it smells “as if/though” gibi kullanabilir.

-    It smells as though you have smoked here. Sanki burada sigara içmişsin kokuyor.

-    John is 20 years old. Why do you talk to him as if he were (was) a child. John 20 yaşında. Neden onunla çocukmuş gibi konuşuyorsun.

Bu tür cümlelerde çoğunlukla “was” yerine “were” kullanılmaktadır. “Was” daha çok konuşma dilinde kullanılır.

 

Note: “As if yerine “like kullanılabilir. Example: it looks like, it smells like, it sounds like gibi.

 

Suppose that,

Supposing that: Varsayalım ki oldu, farzedesek oldu ( if )

-    Suppose (that) you won the big prize, what would you do? Farzedelim ki büyük ödülü kazandın, ne yapardın?

-    Supposing (that) we miss the train, what shall we do? Varsayaılım ki treni kaçırdık, ne yapacağız.

-    Supposing you had a flat tyre, could you repair it?

 

Just as: tam olurken

Just as: Tıpkı … gibi, tam … gibi, tam … yaparken

While anlamına gelen “as” bağlacının önüne başına sadece just ekleyerek vurgulu bir anlatım elde edilir.

-    Just as I was leaving, the phone rang. Tam çıkarken telefon çaldı.

-    We got to the bank just as they were about to close. Bankaya, tam kapatmak üzerelerken yetiştik.


(Just) in case: Olur diye, olursa, olması halinde

-    I always keep an extra battery in my pocket just in case my mobile phone has no charge. Cep telefonumun şarjının bitmesi olasılığına karşı fazladan bir bataryayı daima cebimde taşırım.

-    Just in case students don’t understand some topics, the teacher summarizes the lecture. Öğrencilerin bazı konuları anlamama olasılığına karşı, öğretmen dersi özetliyor.

-    I had better buy some bottle of drinks just in case my friends visit me tonight.

-    Just in case anyone was following me, I made an extra tour on purpose. Birisi beni izliyordur diye bilerek bir turd aha attım.

-    I can work late (just) in case it is necessary. Gerekli olması halinde geç vakte kadar çalışabilirim.

-    Just in case a fire breaks out, we should have several fire distinguishers. Yangın olur diye birkaç yangın söndürücümüz olmalıdır.

 

What if: Farz edelim oldu, olmaz ise, ne olur (Soru cümlesi)

After "What if; Suppose that; Let's suppose that; Supposing that", either real condition (indicative mood) or unreal condition (subjunctive mood) can be used, depending on the meaning and context. (The conjunction "that" is often omitted after Suppose / Supposing.)

-    What if he decides to go there? What will you do?

-    What if she lost your diamond ring? Would you forgive her?

-    Suppose he refuses to help us? – In that case, we will ask someone else.

-    Supposing it rained tomorrow. What would you do? – In that case, we would stay home.

-    Suppose that he had told her about his past before their wedding five years ago. Do you think she would have married him?

 

“What if…?” yapısı “what will happen if…?”, “what would happen if…”, “what would have happened if…?” yapılarının kısaltılmış halidir.

-    What if your pay check doesn't arrive in time? Ya çek ödemen zamanında gelmezse?

-    What if she learns the truth? (What will happen if…?)

-    What if you were the President of this country? (What would happen if…?)

-    What if the reserves had not been there?

 

On condition that: Olması şartıyla

-    You can take my dictionary on condition that you bring it back by Friday. Sözlüğümü, cuma günü geri getirmek şartıyla alabilirsin.

-    I will go with you on condition that I pay the bill. Hesabı benim ödemem şartıyla sizinle gelirim.

 

In condition of + noun:

-    There were wide variations in the conditions of observation. Gözlem koşullarında geniş farklılıklar vardı.


If only: keşke, eğer sadece

Constructions with "If only" express wishes in the form of regret more emotionally than constructions with the verb “wish”. Constructions with "If only" are used in the same way as constructions with the verb “wish”.

-    If only he were here with me now!

-    If only she could visit us more often!

-    If only I had known the truth at that time!

-    If only he had listened to me then!

 

“If only” bağlacı basit cümlede “I wish”; kompleks cümlede ise “If Clause” olarak işlev görür.

-    She is not coming. If only she were coming.

-    If only man had been a bit less greedy, more bird and animal species might have avoided extinction.

 

“Wish” with Past Tense and Past Perfect is used in a similar way to conditional sentences and that “if only” can sometimes be used as an alternative to wish:

-      If only I had worked harder at university, I would've got a better job.

-    I wish I had done more travelling in my youth. If I had travelled more widely, I am sure I would be more open-minded now.

-    I wish you could come with me to Cancun this summer.If you could only come with me to Cancun, that would make it a perfect summer.

 

But for + noun /pronoun,

If not for + noun /pronoun: Olmasaydı, olmaz ise

Sometimes, “if-clause” of unreal condition is replaced by the construction “But for /(if not for)+ noun /pronoun”. Such structures can be used in situations referring to the past or present.

Açıklama: type-2: would + V1 ya da type-3: would have + V3 yapısı olmak durumundadır. Compare these pairs of conditional sentences:

-    But for the children, they would have divorced years ago. – If it hadn't been for the children,

they would have divorced years ago.

-    But for the traffic jams, I'd like it here very much. – If it weren't for the traffic jams, I'd like it here very much.

-    If not for her, he would never have become such a good doctor. – If it hadn't been for her, he would never have become such a good doctor.

 

We can use "but for + noun" with a similar meaning to "if it weren't for + noun" or "if it hadn't been for + noun". Not sure if it can be used in the second conditional though...

-    But for you, I wouldn’t go on. Sen olmasaydın yaşayamazdım.

-    The country would now be self-sufficient in food but for the drought last year. (= if there hadn't been the drought...)

-    But for the leg injury he suffered last year, he would probably have been picked for the national team by now. (= if he hadn't injured his leg...)

-    But for his meticulous appear, we would never successful.


 

Once: olur olmaz, hemen (as soon as), While: olurken,

After: olduktan sonra, When: olduğunda

Both "if" and "when" are used in the Present Real Conditional. Using "if" suggests that something happens less frequently. Using "when" suggests that something happens regularly.

-    When I have a day off from work, I often go to the beach.

-    What do you do when it rains?

-    When I die, I’ll leave all my money to charity.

 

…, so that …: olsun diye

-    He studied very hard so that he could pass the exam

 

 

 

Herhangi bir bağlacın önünde kullanılan “even” vurgu yapar, bağlacın kullanımı değişmez (even after, even when).

 

Even:

“Even” is used to emphasize something surprising or extreme. “Even” can be used as an adjective or an adverb. “Even” can emphasize a word, a phrase or a clause beginning with a word like “if, as or though”.

Even (adj): flat and smoth; düz, sakin, çift. Even up (v): eşitlemek, denklemek

 

Even (adv): bile, hatta, üstelik.

-    Almost all the students have passed the exam. Even Jack was successful.

 

Position of even:

If there is no auxiliary verb, “even” goes before the main verb.

-    She even called me with my name. (It is not used in the form of, “She called even me with my name.”)

 

If there is an auxiliary verb, even goes after it.

-    I don’t even know his name. (It is not used in the form of, “I even don’t know his name.”)

 

If the main verb is a form of be (is, am, are, was, were), even goes after it.

-    China is even larger than India. (It is not used in the form of, “China even is larger than India.”)

-    She is even taller than her husband.


Even now: şimdi bile

Even now is used for saying that it is surprising that something still continues.

-    Even now the practice of dowry exists in many parts of Asia. Şimdi bile çeyiz uygulaması Asya'nın birçok yerinde var.

 

 

Even then: hatta daha sonra

This phrase is used for saying that something is surprising because it was supposed to be different.

 

Even as: yaparken, olurken; bile (just as)

This phrase is used to talk about two actions or events that are happening at the same time.

-    Even as they discussed the merits and demerits of the project, people were protesting in the streets.

Onlar projenin temel ve dezavantajlarını tartışırken insanlar sokaklarda protesto yapıyorlardı.

-    During the Cold War, even as they prepared to destroy one another, the West and the Soviet Union struck deals and traded in energy.

Soğuk Savaş sırasında, birbirlerini yok etmeye hazırlandıklarında bile, Batı ve Sovyetler Birliği fırsatlar buldu ve enerji ticareti yaptı.

 

 

Even if: Olsa bile, olmasına rağmen (zıtlık)

Even if is used in a supposition or hypothesis. This phrase is used for emphasizing that a particular situation will remain the same no matter what happens.

 

Even if + S + V+ O

-    Even if we had been invited, we couldn’t have gone.

-    Even if Caroline earned a big salary, she would not buy a fast car. (Caroline doesn't like fast cars.)

-    Even if I had time and money, I wouldn't go on a cruise. (It's not because I have no time or no money that I won't go on a cruise. I have other reasons for not going.)

-    We have decided to go on a picnic even if it rains. (Yağmur yağsa bile, biz pikniğe gitmeye karar verdik.)

-    I’m determined to prove my innocence even if that means going to the highest court in the land.

-    I’ll go even if you forbid me to.

-    I will not go to her wedding even if she invites me.

-    Even if the unemployment rate drops sharply, the drop may still be temporary.

 

Even though: …e rağmen, …sa bile (zıtlık)

-    I’ll go even though you forbid me to.

-    Even though he studied hard, he couldn’t pass the exam.

 

Even so: fakat, yine de, buna ragmen, böyle olsa bile (zıtlık)

Even so means in spite of that. This expression is used for introducing a statement that might seem surprising after what you have said before.

-    The tickets were expensive, but, even so, the match was worth watching.


 

If space weather forecasters ---- timely warnings of storms, telecommunications companies to

take steps to protect their satellites.

 

A)  could have provided / had been able

B)  could have provided / should be able

C)  can be provided / should be able

D)  can provide / will have been able

E)  could provide / would be able

 

A ve B şartlı cümle koşullarını sağlamadığından olamaz. C şıkkı ilk cümlenin pasif olacağını belirtmektedir. İlk cümle pasif olamaz. D şıkkındaki “will have been able” süreç içermesi gerekir. Bu nedenle doğru yanıt: E


❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html