-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

Continuous Tenses: Present, Past, Future

PRESENT CONTINUOUS

 

1)  It is used to denote an action taking place at the present moment:

a)  at the moment of speaking. The moment of speaking is indicated by the adverbials: at the moment, now, at present, just now, right now, etc.

e.g. The woman is wearing a white blouse and a black skirt. Nell is putting down the examples on the blackboard.

b)  during the present period of time or around the present moment (in this case now obviously has a broader meaning) = a temporary situation. The durative character of the action may be expressed by the adverbial modifiers all day/night/morning, the whole day, still, etc.

e.g. They are very busy all this time, they are preparing for exams. David is collecting material for his new book now. She is working in Paris this week.

 

There might be two simultaneous (parallel) actions in progress: e.g. I‟m writing the letter while

the children are playing in the garden.

 

2)  It is used to denote the nearest future action which is planned or arranged.

e.g. I‘m seeing Rachel tonight. We aren‟t going anywhere for Christmas, we are staying at home.

 

The construction ―to be going to‖ is often used for the same purpose.

e.g. I‘m going to explore the neighbourhood.

 

3)  It is used to show the unusual frequency of an action in the present. It is often used with the adverbials of frequency always, constantly, never, again, etc. The speaker conveys the feeling of irritation, surprise or criticism (wants to give emotional colouring to his sentence).

e.g. Mr Stone is always grumbling. He is constantly making comments about my weight.

 

4)  It is used to denote actions or states having a dynamic character.

= changing and developing situations.

e.g. The climate is getting warmer. Mary is putting on weight. His health is improving.

 

5)  It is used to express a continual process. It is often used with the adverbials of frequency

always, constantly, ever, etc.


e.g. The earth is ever moving. The sun is ever shining.

 

Note: Some stative verbs (see, smell, taste, feel, think, have, etc.) have continuous forms but there is a difference in meaning.

STATE

ACTION

I think she is rich. (=I believe)

I‘m thinking about your plan. (=I‘m

considering)

The milk tastes awful. (=it has bad flavour)

He‘s tasting the sauce; it might need salt.

(=he‘s trying its flavour)

He has a pet dog. (=he owns)

He is having dinner now. (=he‘s eating)

The cloth feels like velvet. (=has the texture)

She‘s feeling her way in the dark. (=she‘s

finding her way)

I see you are in trouble. (=I understand)

I‘m seeing my lawyer tonight. (=I‘m visiting)

The kitchen smells of burnt milk. (=has the

smell)

Why are you smelling your food? (=trying the

smell of)

He comes from Spain. (=he was born in)

He‘s coming from Spain. (=he‘s traveling from)

I love holidays. (=in general)

I‘m loving this holiday. (=I‘m enjoying;

specific)

Your hair looks great. (=it appears)

She‘s looking at some old photographs. (=she‘s

examining)

The baby weighs 5 kilos. (=it is)

I‘m weighing myself on my new scales. (=I‘m

finding out my weight)

Ann is very tall.

Ann is being very kind to me these days.

(=she‘s behaving)

 

Ex.1

Choose between the Present Continuous or Present Indefinite.

Dear Deborah,

I (have) a great time here in England. My University term (start) until the autumn, so I (take) the opportunity to improve my English. I (stay) with some English friends who (own) a farm. On weekdays I (catch) a bus into Bath to go to language classes. I (make) good progress, I think. My friends (say) my pronunciation is much better than when I arrived, and I (understand) almost everything now. At weekends I (help) on the farm. At the moment They (harvest) the corn and they (need) all the help they can get. It‘s quite hard work, but I (like) it. And I (develop) strong muscles!

(come) to visit me at Christmas? I (spend) the winter holiday here on the farm. My friends (want) to meet you and there‘s plenty of space. But you must bring your warmest clothes. It (get) very cold here in winter.

Hope to hear from you soon. Love, Mike.

 

Ex. 2

Show the difference in the meaning of the Present Continuous and the Present Indefinite tense- forms by matching the questions and answers below.

1.       What do you do?

2.       What are you doing?

3.       Where does he work?

4.       Where is he working?

5.       Does his son play the guitar?

6.       Is your son playing the guitar?

7.       What language does he speak?

8.       What language is he speaking?

a.       Actually that‘s the radio.

b.       Dutch – she‘s from Holland.

c.       I want to get the car started.

d.       I‘m a carpenter.

e.       He‘s in Dublin this week.

f.        In a big computer company.

g.       It sounds like Polish.

h.       Me. And can I have some more?


9.      Who drinks champagne?

10.   Who is drinking champagne?

i.        Me, when I can afford it.

j.        No, the violin.

 

Ex. 3

Choose between the Present Continuous and Present Indefinite to express a future action.

1.        We (have) a party next Saturday. Would you like to come?

2.        I (not/go) away for my holidays next month because I haven‘t got enough money.

3.        The concert (start) at 7.30 tomorrow night.

4.        George, is it true that you (get) married next week?

5.        The art exhibition (open) on 3 May and (finish) on 15 July.

6.        What time the next train (leave)?

7.        We (go) to town. You (come) with us, Ann?

8.        I (attend) a seminar on Monday.

9.        What time the banks (close) tonight?

10.   You (see) Laura on Saturday?

11.   I see from the report that you (meet) the manager tomorrow.

 

Ex. 4

Rephrase each sentence so that it means the same as the preceding one. Make sure you begin the rephrased sentences as given.

1.       What‘s the weight of this huge elephant? How much ?

2.       Tom keeps slamming the door! Tom is always !

3.       There is a strong smell of garlic in the kitchen. The kitchen .

4.       Wendy‘s speciality is heart surgery. Wendy .

5.       Bob is in the habit of getting to bed early. Bob usually .

6.       What is the meaning of this proverb? What ?

7.       Linda‘s dental appointment is at 2 p.m. Linda .

8.       He has a bad habit of folding back the pages of a book. He is constantly .

9.       He is used to keeping late hours. He often .

10.   I‘ll get home at about 7 and I‘ll give you a ring then. I‟ll give you a ring .

11.   The investigation of a crime is in the hands of the police. The police .

12.   We‘ll leave at the end of the lecture. As soon as .

13.   Do you have plans for the coming weekend? What ?

14.   Lucy isn‘t such a late riser as Ann. Lucy generally .

 

Ex. 5

Some of the following sentences are incorrect. Find the errors and explain why the tense-form is incorrect.

1.        This fish is tasting salty.

2.        (over the phone) Who do I speak to?

3.        Are you knowing the girl who lives next door?

4.        As far as I know they live in a very small flat.

5.        Look, the man takes a photo of you.

6.        Jeremy is a photographer. He is taking photos for a newspaper.

7.        Peter is very hospitable. He is always inviting his friends to stay at Christmas.

8.        Are these shoes belonging to you?

9.        Sally is loving her baby more than anything.

10.   It rains so hard! Remember to take an umbrella.

11.   I‘m feeling she‘s making a mistake.

12.   Why do you look at me like that?

13.   I hope you don‘t mind my bringing the dog with me.

14.   The children seem frightened.


15.   Anna is Italian. She is coming from Italy.

16.   I see the situation is out of control.

17.   My parents think of moving to the country.

18.   What‘s your mum cooking? It‘s smelling fantastic!

 

Ex. 6

Fill in the Present Indefinite or Present Continuous.

1.       A: I (think) about visiting Jane this afternoon. B: I wouldn‘t bother. I (think) she‘s away on holiday.

2.       A: Mr. Jones (have) a telephone message from his wife. B: Can it wait? He (have) a business meeting and I don‘t want to disturb him.

3.       A: The police (still/look) for fingerprints left in this room. B: It (look) as if they won‘t find the criminal.

4.       A: I(love) breathing in clean, country air! B: So do I. I (love) every minute of this walking trip.

5.       A: I (see) my boss about a pay rise this afternoon. B: I (see). That‘s why you are wearing a suit and a tie.

6.       A: Why (you/taste) the soup? Is there anything wrong with it? B: Yes – it (taste) too sweet. I think I‘ve used sugar instead of salt.

7.       A: Why (you/feel) the baby‘s forehead, Mum? B: I think she‘s got a temperature. She (feel) rather hot.

8.       A: John (be) a very rude person, you know. B: I know. Sheila (be) very rude these days too, although she‘s usually polite.

9.       A: It (look) as if it‘s going to rain this afternoon. B: I know. I (look) for my umbrella to take out with me.

10.   A: How much (your new baby/weigh)? B: I don‘t know yet. The nurse (weigh) him at the moment.

 

Ex. 7

Underline the correct item.

1.        John is/is being usually rude, but today he is/is being polite to his colleagues.

2.        Ann is/is being usually patient, but today she is/is being impatient.

3.        Sam is/is being rude to his mum now, but he is/is being normally pleasant to her.

4.        John is/is being a kind man, but at the moment he is/is being selfish.

5.        Julie is/is being silly at the moment, although I know she is/is being really very sensible.

 

 

PAST CONTINUOUS

 

1)  It is used to denote an action which was going on at a definite moment in the past or during a definite period of time in the past. The definite moment or period in the past can be indicated by an adverbial phrase (at 2 p.m., at that time yesterday, from 5 till7, all evening, the whole day, in the afternoon, between one and two, etc.), by another past action or prompted by the context.

e.g. What were you doing at 1 p.m. yesterday? – I was having a lunch with my friend. I looked out of the window. The sun was shining.

 

Note 1: When a past action in progress is interrupted by another past action, the longer background action is in the Past Continuous and a shorter action (a single event) is expressed by the Past Indefinite.

e.g. As/when/while my dad was painting the ceiling he spilt some paint on the floor.

 

Note 2: It is used to express two parallel simultaneous situations (actions) in the past.


e.g. While John was sitting doing nothing, I was working out a plan to get us home.

 

Note 3: When two actions are not simultaneous, i.e. when one action happened one after another, only the Past Simple is used for both the verbs.

e.g. When the teacher came, we wrote a dictation.

 

2)  It is used to denote past actions of unusual frequency to convey a feeling of annoyance, irritation or criticism with adverbials of permanence always, constantly.

e.g. In those days he was always borrowing money and forgetting to pay it back.

 

3)  Reported present-time actions in progress (according to the rules of Sequence of Tenses).

e.g. Ann asked: ―Is Jane talking on the phone?‖ (direct speech)

Ann asked if Jane was talking on the phone. (indirect/reported speech)

 

4)  The Past Continuous of the verbs to expect, to intend, to hope, to plan, to mean may be used to show that the planned action was not carried out.

e.g. I was meaning to go there.

 

Ex. 1

Open the brackets using the verbs in the Past Continuous tense-form.

1.        The street was absolutely empty and we (drive) very fast.

2.        Did you really hear what they (talk) about?

3.        She was disgusting to look at! She (always/chew) gum!

4.        (the music/play) all the time from 7 to 9 in the evening?

5.        When we arrived at the seaside the weather was disappointing at first. A strong wind (blow), the sky was cloudy and it (drizzle). But the next day the sun came out.

6.        It sounds strange but I can‘t remember what I (do) at this time two days ago. – Perhaps you (sleep).

7.        I found the house in a mess. The light was on. The water in the bathroom (run), some dish (burn) in the oven. – Good Lord, it could have caught fire!

8.        He was actually the only one who (listen) carefully to what I (say).

9.        What (she/wear) at the party?

 

Ex. 2

Identify the Past tenses and match them with the correct definition.

1.       While they were discussing the itinerary I was packing the suitcases.

2.       She went to the market and bought

some vegetables.

3.       At 6 o‘clock this morning I was having a wonderful dream, but then the alarm went off!

4.       He broke his leg while he was playing

football.

5.       She left school last year.

6.       Nick was always teasing me when we were at school.

7.       He used to smoke like a chimney when he was younger.

8.       I was wondering if I might use your phone.

a.        A past action in progress interrupted by another past action

b.        A habitual past action

c.        Simultaneous past actions in progress

d.        An action in progress at a definite moment in the past

e.        A repeated action in the past with a feeling of annoyance

f.         A polite request

g.        A single past event

h.        A succession of past events


Ex. 3

Open the brackets using the verbs in the Past Indefinite or Past Continuous.

1.       He (hurt) his leg when he (fall) off the ladder.

2.       I (see) that she (enjoy) the concert. She (sit/smile).

3.       Why (you/not/open) the door at once? – Sorry, I (not/hear) the bell.

4.       I (break) the plate while I (do) the washing up.

5.       At 2 o‘clock this afternoon I (have) lunch that‘s why you (not/get) me on the phone. What (you/want) to tell me? – Actually I (call) to tell you I (come) by the 7 o‘clock train.

6.       I (find) that old photo when I (look) through the album.

7.       He (look) through the article for some time and then (make) notes.

8.       They (discuss) the situation for about an hour at yesterday‘s meeting.

9.       The boy (always/fidget). But whenever I (tell) him not to, He (stick) out his tongue at me.

10.   While the Coppards (work) in the garden Mr. Coppard (have) a heart attack and his wife (call) the doctor.


Ex. 4

Choose between four tense-forms: the Present Indefinite or Continuous, the Past Indefinite or Continuous.

1.        Who you (think) you are, speaking to me like that?

2.        We (have) a great time there in London.

3.        The last job I (apply) for (require) applicants to speak some Italian.

4.        Susie (water) the plants while her mother (make) an apple-pie/

5.        If you (not/listen) to the radio, why don‘t you switch it off?

6.        I remember the day you got engaged. We (have) tea in the garden when you (come) out of the house and (tell) us about this.

7.        I tried to explain the situation to my parents, but they just (not/understand) what I (talk) about.

8.        What have they put in this sauce? It (taste) absolutely disgusting.

9.        Why you (wear) that thin dress? You‘ll freeze to death in this cold wind!

10.    Look! You (see) that man standing beside the cash desk? I‘m sure he (plan) to steal something.

11.    My son didn‘t want to come shopping with us because he (watch) a football match on television.

12.    He (do) quite a lot in his short life.

 

 

FUTURE CONTINUOUS

 

1)   It is used to denote an action which will be going on at a definite moment in the future. The definite moment can be indicated by another future action expressed by a verb in the Present Indefinite, by an adverbial phrase (at 2 p.m., at this time tomorrow, all evening, from October to November, etc.) or is understood from the situation.

e.g. I‘ll already be working when you return. At 12 o‘clock I‘ll still be working. I‘m sure you won‘t be able to speak to him, he will be working.

 

2)   It is also used to talk about events that are a result or part of an arrangement made in advance. (There is, in fact, little difference between this usage and the use of the Present Cont. for future arrangements. The Future Cont., however, is used to distance the arrangement a little, making it more fixed and less open to change.)

e.g. Buses won‟t be running here this weekend due to essential track repairs. The band will be performing live in Warsaw next summer. (Compare: When are you moving to Leeds?)

 

3)    It can have a modal colouring: it can denote an action which is sure to take place, often independently of the will of the speaker and the doer of the action. To show the speaker‘s certainty about the predicted events, states, etc. parenthetical phrases such as I am sure, I know, I believe are often used.

e.g. I hope you will not be using the car tomorrow evening; I‘d like to borrow it if you don‘t mind. I feel I‟ll be asking the same question tomorrow. Mike is sympathetic because he knows his successor will be having a hard time doing the job.

 

4)  It is used to denote a future action which is part of a regular routine (a matter-of-course event), which doesn‘t need any special arrangement.

e.g. I‘ll be passing the post-office on my way home from work, so I‘ll buy you a newspaper. Now that Nick is in Helen‘s department they will be seeing a lot of each other.

 

 

Compare: statements

·       I‘ll see him about it tomorrow. (a promise or a decision)

·       I‘m seeing him about it tomorrow. (a pre-arranged plan)

·       I‘ll be seeing him about it tomorrow. (a matter-of-course event) Compare: questions

·       When will you move? or When are you moving? (straightforward enquiries)

·       When will you be moving? Will you be starting tomorrow? (polite enquiries)

 

Ex. 1

Match the sentences on the left with the meaning of the Future Continuous Tense on the right.

1.       Don‘t phone after 11 p.m. I will be sleeping.

2.       Will you be using your iron in the evening?

3.       He says he will be working  overtime the whole week.

4.       I won‘t bother to fix the time to see you, because I‘ll be calling into the office several times next week.

a.                    An action in progress at a definite moment in the future

b.                   An action that will be going on over a period of time in the future

c.                    Part of a regular routine (a matter-of- course event)

d.                   A polite enquiry

e.                    A prediction

f.                      An arrangement


5.                   What will you be doing in five years‘ time?

6.                   I‘ll be going to the shops on my way from work and can get you some bread and cheese.

7.                   I‘m sure they‘ll be enjoying their stay at the summer camp.

8.                   I feel she‘ll be asking you the same question again tomorrow.

9.                   We‘ll be having our weekly meeting on Monday.

 

Ex. 2

Put the verbs in brackets into the Future Continuous or the Future Indefinite tense.

1.       Dr. Brown (be) in the office at 3 p.m.? – No, I‘m afraid not. He (attend) a conference.

2.       Do you think Steve (agree) to take part in the University boating race if we send him an invitation? – I‘m sure he will.

3.       Have you missed the last train? – Yes, I (have) to walk home now.

4.       Are you free from 9 to 10 tomorrow morning? – Well, I am but I (not/be) at home. I (walk) the dog at that time.

5.       Why can‘t you come to the party tomorrow night? – Because I (study) for an exam.

6.       If I enter the Linguistic University next year, I (study) 3 foreign languages. – What language you (major) in? – It (be) English, of course.

7.       I‘d like to have a chat with you today, Tony. I (come) and (see) you at the office, if you don‘t mind. – All right. I (wait) for you.

8.       If my job application is accepted they (invite) me for an interview? – Yes, but I‘m afraid it (not/be) the last.

9.       Next year they (go) to Spain for a holiday.

10.   At 4 o‘clock on Tuesday afternoon we (fly) over Paris.

11.   Don‘t worry. I (help) you carry your bags.

12.   I promise you I (try) harder next time.

13.   I‘m afraid I can‘t come to your barbecue party on Friday night. I (fly) to Boston just then.

14.   We all (use) the Internet in our everyday life in a couple of years.

15.   If they come round for dinner tomorrow evening, I (show) them the photographs.

16.   I (work) late at the office this evening, so I (not/get) home till about 10.

 

CONTINUOUS TENSES

Sentences for analysis

 

1.        I‘ll already be working when you return.

2.        They were working in the garden all day long.

3.        She was constantly complaining of being lonely.

4.        I‘m playing golf tomorrow.

5.        Kate is in Britain. She is learning English.

6.        Don‘t ring them up at 7 in the morning. They will be sleeping.

7.        I‘m reading a book while the children are playing in the garden.

8.        The kettle is boiling. Can you turn it off, Mike?

9.        She is taking dancing classes recently.

10.   Look, the man is taking a photo of you!

11.   John arrived when I was cooking supper.

12.   I asked if she was doing her home-task.

13.   The earth is ever moving.


14.   The Browns will be staying at my place all weekend.

15.   Our ballet dancers will be performing in Moscow this autumn.

16.   Are you free from 9 to 10 tomorrow morning? – Well, I am but I won‘t be at home. I‘ll be walking the dog in the park.

17.   Will you be using your iron in the evening?

18.   I‘ll be going to the shops on my way from work and can get you some bread and cheese.

19.   I feel she‘ll be asking the same question tomorrow.

20.   We are having a party next Saturday. Would you like to come?

21.   My parents are thinking of moving to the country.

22.   Sue met her husband while he was working in Paris.

23.   Fleming was studying influenza when he discovered penicillin.

24.   It was snowing heavily when we got to Warsaw.

25.   I saw Carol at the party. She was wearing a really beautiful dress.


❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html