-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

HAVE and HAVE GOT

HAVE – HAVE GOT

 

In the English language the verb ―to have‖ can be used as:

1)                 a notional verb to express possession (I have a flat of my own.)

2)                 a modal verb (I have to go to the shop, we‟ve run out of bread.)

3)                 an auxiliary verb (He has just come.)

There are two ways to form negatives and questions:

They don‟t have any children. = They haven‟t got any children. Does Ann have a car? = Has Ann got a car?

But when the verb ―to have‖ is used in the following expressions: to have dinner/breakfast, to have coffee/tea, to have a bath/ a shower, to have a shave/a wash, to have a rest/ a sleep/ a dream, to have a holiday/ a good time, etc. in negative and interrogative forms it takes the auxiliary verb ―to do‖:

Do you have tea or coffee for breakfast? Where does he have dinner?

Note that ―have‖ stresses the idea of regularity, ―have got‖ is linked with ―now‖ and means a particular thing. In spoken English the form ―I‟ve got‖ is used almost universally for ―I have‖ in the sense of ―I own (possess)‖: I have a cup of tea for breakfast in the morning (usually). I haven‟t got tea for breakfast this morning.

 

Ex. 1

Make the following sentences negative and interrogative.

e.g. The Browns have a nice garden. – Do the Browns have a nice garden? The Browns don‘t have a nice garden.

e.g. He‘s got three children. – Has he got three children? He hasn‘t got three children.

1.       Tom has a large country house.

2.       They usually have lunch at one o‘clock.

3.       Mary has got two brothers.

4.       I have a shower every morning.

5.       Helen and John have got a three-room flat.

6.       Little Ben has got a bicycle.

7.       Kate always has tea for breakfast.

8.       My Mum usually has a holiday in summer.

9.       The child has dot coloured pencils.

10.   George has a family of his own.

 

Ex.2

Insert have or have got in the necessary form.

1.        … she … any grandparents? – Yes, both her Granny and Granddad are still alive.

2.        Did you go to Mary‘s party? – Oh, yes, we … a grand time.

3.        As far as I know, he lives with his relatives. He … a flat of his own.

4.        What … you usually … for breakfast?

5.        If you work hard, I‘m sure you … any problems at the exam.

6.        May I … a look at this book, please?

7.        I … enough time to do the shopping yesterday, so I‘ll have to do it tonight.

8.        I‘m sorry, I … any present for you. – Never mind.

9.        I couldn‘t answer the telephone as I was … a shower.

10.   Could you lend me a fiver, please? – Oh, sorry, I … any money on me.

11.   I think I … a holiday in August this year.

12.   … their daughter … dark or fair hair? – Actually, she‘s red.

13.   I … dinner yesterday, I didn‘t feel quite well.

14.   She … so many clothes she doesn‘t know where to put them all.

15.   … you … a good rest? – Yes, I really enjoyed it.

❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html