-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

Narration/Speech: Direct and Indirect

REPORTED (INDIRECT) SPEECH

 

We can report people‘s words by using direct speech or reported speech

Direct speech is the exact words someone used. We use quotation marks in direct speech.

e.g. „It‟s nice to be home,‟ Tom said.

Reported speech is the exact meaning of what someone said, but not the exact words. We do not use quotation marks in reported speech. We can either use the word that after the introductory verb (say, tell, etc.), or we can omit it.

e.g. Tom said (that) it was nice to be home.

We can use the verbs say and tell both in direct and reported speech. Tell is always followed by a personal object (told me).

Say is used with or without a personal object. When used with a personal object it is always followed by the preposition to (said to me).

Study the following examples:

direct speech reported speech

He said, „I‟m Ted.‟ He said (that) he was Ted.

He said to me, „I‟m Ted.‟ He said to me (that) he was Ted. He told me, „I‟m Ted.‟ He told me (that) he was Ted.

(NOT: He told that he was Ted)

 

Say and tell are also used with the following expressions:

say good morning/afternoon, etc., something/nothing, etc., one‘s prayers, so, a few words, say so, say no more, say for certain

 

tell the truth, a lie, a secret, a story, the time, the difference, sb one‘s name, sb the way, one from another, one‘s fortune

 

Ex. 82

Fill in the gaps with say or tell in the correct tense.

A Katie (1) ...told... Dave that she had met a set of twins at a party. They looked exactly the same,‘ she (2)............‘I couldn‘t (3). the difference between them.‘ ‗I‘ve got a twin

brother,  too,‘  (4)..................Dave.  ‗Are  you  (5)...................  me  the  truth?‘  asked  Katie.

(6)....................me his name.‘ ‗His name is Stephen,‘ Dave (7).................. her. I‘ll take you to meet him tomorrow.‘

В ‗You never listen to me, Тага (1).....................Jim. ‗I (2) good

morning  to   you  three   times  today  and   you  didn‘t  answer,‘  she  (3) To

(4)........................ you the truth, it makes me really angry. Why don‘t you listen to me?‘ ‗Oh,

hello Тага,‘ said Jim. ‗Did you just (5) something?‘

С ‗Claire (1).....................me that she and John are getting married,‘ (2) Sue.

‗She (3) that they‘re going to have a big wedding with lots of guests.‘ That will be

expensive,‘  (4)..................Tom.  ‗I thought  John  (5)................  that  they couldn‘t  afford  a big

wedding.‘ ‗Well that‘s what Claire (6)................me,‘ (7). Sue. ‗I don‘t think she would

(8).. a lie.‘


 

REPORTED STATEMENTS

In reported speech personal pronouns, possessive adjectives/possessive pronouns change according to the meaning of the sentence.

e.g. Sam said, I‘m leaving for Germany with my family tomorrow.‘

Sam said (that) he was leaving for Germany with his family the following day.

We can report someone‘s words either a long time after they were said (out-of-date-reporting) or a short time after they were said (up-to-date-reporting).

 

out-of-date reporting

We usually report someone‘s words a long time after they were said. In this case the introductory verb is in the past simple and the tenses change as follows:

 

direct speech

reported speech

present simple

‘I want to go to bed early,’ he said.

present continuous

‘She’s feeding the baby,’ he said.

present perfect

‘I’ve bought a new dress,’ she said.

past simple

‘I finished work early,’ Alex said.

past continuous

‘I was planning to call you later,’ she said.

 

 

future (will)

‘I’ll talk to you tomorrow,’ she said.

past simple

He said (that) he wanted to go to bed early.

past continuous

He said (that) she was feeding the baby.

past perfect

She said (that) she had bought a new dress.

past simple or past perfect

Alex said (that) he (had) finished work early. past continuous or past perfect continuous She said (that) she was planning/had bean planning to call me later.

 

conditional (would)

She said (that) she would talk to me the next

day.

 

 

 

The Past Perfect and Past Perfect Continuous remain the same.

direct speech: The film had finished by the time I got home,‟ he said.

reported speech: He said (that) the film had finished by the time he got home.

 

Certain words and time expressions change according to the meaning of the sentence as follows: now > then, at that time, immediately

today, tonight >  that day, that night yesterday > the day before, the previous day tomorrow > the following day, the next day this week > that week

last week > the week before, the previous week next week > the week after, the following week two days ago > two days before

here > there come > go

 

When this/these are used in time expressions, they change to that/those.


e.g. this week > that week, these days > those days

When this/that/these/those are not used in time expressions, they change as follows:

a)     as adjectives, that is, when they are followed by a noun, they change to the.

e.g. This cake is delicious,‟ Pam told me. > Pam told me (that) the cake was delicious.

b)      as pronouns, that is, when they are not followed by a noun, they change to It or they/them.

e.g. a) This is a brilliant idea,‟ Debbie said.  > Debbie said (that) it was a brilliant idea.

b) He said, Those are the men who helped me.‟  > He said (that) they were the men who

(had) helped him.

 

up-to-date reporting

When we report someone‘s words a short time after they were said, the tenses can either change or remain the same in reported speech.

direct speech: I‘m seeing the manager tomorrow,‘ Jack said to us.

reported speech: Jack told us (that) he is seeing/was seeing the manager tomorrow.

Certain modal verbs change in reported speech as follows:

will/shall -> would can -> could/would be able to (future reference) may > might must > must/had to (obligation)

can   > could shall > should (asking for advice)

♦ Would, could, might, should, ought, had better and mustn‘t do not change in reported speech. Must does not change in reported speech when it expresses a logical assumption.

 

He said, ‗I‘ll have some tea. He said (that) he would have some tea. He said, ‗She can type fast‘ He said (that) she could type fast.

He said, ‗I can talk to you tomorrow‘ He said (that) he сould be able to talk to me the  next day. (it refers to the future)

He said, ‗They may come home‘ He said (that) they might come home. He said, ‗What shall I tell her?‘ He asked what he should tell her.

He said, ‗You must stay in‘ He said (that) I must/had to stay in. He said, ‗She must be exhausted.‘ He said (that) she must be exhausted.

 

♦          In Type 1 conditionals tenses change in reported speech as follows: the present simple

becomes past simple in the if-clause and will becomes would in the main clause. direct speech: ‗If I have the time, I‘ll come round,‘ Lisa said.

reported speech: Lisa said (that) if she had the time, she would come round.

♦      Type 2 and Type 3 conditionals do not change in reported speech. direct speech: ‗If she knew, she would help us,‘ Tony said.

reported speech: Tony said (that) if she knew, she would help us.

♦      The verb tenses and time expressions change in reported speech:

a)     when reporting someone‘s words a long time after they were said (out-of-date reporting).

b)   when we consider what the speaker says to be untrue.

direct speech: ‗I like Shakespeare‘s plays a lot,‘ he said to us.

reported speech: He told us (that) he liked Shakespeare‘s plays a lot, but he didn‘t know the name of any.

c)   when the introductory verb is in a past tense:

direct speech: ‗I‘m moving to a new flat next week,‘ she said.

reported speech: She said (that) she was moving to a new flat the following week.

♦      The verb tenses can either change or remain the same in reported speech:

a)     when reporting someone‘s words a short time after they were said (up-to-date reporting).

b)   when reporting a general truth or law of nature.

direct speech: ‗The sun sets in the west,‘ the teacher said. reported speech: The teacher said (that) the sun sets/set in the west.

♦      The verb tenses remain the same in reported speech:


When the introductory verb is in the present, future or present perfect. direct speech: The singer says, ‗I enjoy cycling.‘ reported speech: The singer says (that) she enjoys cycling.

The introductory verb is in the present tense:

a)   when we pass on messages.

e.g. Debbie says she needs the car tonight.

b)   when we report the content of a letter, article, etc. while reading it.

e.g. The article says that people use too much water.

c)   when we refer to something someone says very often.

e.g. Mum often says that I shouldn‘t talk to strangers.

 

 

Ex. 83

Fill In the gaps with the correct pronoun or possessive adjective.

1.                      James said, „My boss wants me to go to London tomorrow.‟

James said ...his.. boss wanted.. to go to London the following day.

2.                      Mary said, ‗I‘m waiting for my son to come out of school.‘

Mary said that.................was waiting for son to come out of school.

3.              George said, ‗I‘ve bought a new car for my mum.‘ George said ............. had bought a new car for mum.

4.                         Julie said to me, ‗I need you to help me with the shopping.‘ Julie told me that ..............

needed. to help with the shopping.

5.          John said, ‗I‘d like to take you out to dinner.‘

John said................‘d like to take out to dinner.

6.                  Helen said to Jane, ‗I think your new haircut is lovely.‘

Helen told Jane that..............thought. new haircut was lovely.

 

Ex. 84

Turn the following sentences into reported speech.

1.          Robin said, These biscuits taste delicious.‟

...Robin said (that) the biscuits tasted delicious....

2.         ‗I can‘t see you this afternoon because I‘ve got a lot to do,‘ Ann told me.

3.         She came into the room holding some letters in her hand and said, ‗I found these while I was tidying the desk drawers.‘

4.         Fiona said, ‗That picture was painted by my greatgrandfather.‘

5.         ‗Those were good times for my family,‘ Jack said.

6.         ‗I received a parcel this morning, but I haven‘t opened it yet,‘ Tom said.

7.         ‗You mustn‘t do that again,‘ Mum said to Bob

8.         ‗These shoes are worn out. You‘d better throw them away,‘ Mum said to me.

 

Ex. 85

Turn the following sentences into reported speech.

1.      He said, „I‟m going to the station.‟

...He said (that) he was going to the station...

2.            Tina said, ‗You should exercise regularly.‘

3.            They said, ‗We had booked the room before we left.‘

4.            Tom said. ‗This meal is delicious.‘

5.            ‗I‘ve written you a letter,‘ she said to her friend.

6.            ‗We‘ve decided to spend our holidays in Jordan,‘ they told us.

7.            Jill said, ‗I‘ll go to the bank tomorrow.‘

8.            She said to him, ‗We‘ve been invited to a wedding.‘


9.            She told me, ‗You must leave early tomorrow.‘

10.        ‗They‘ve gone out for the evening,‘ Jessie said to me.

11.        They said, ‗We may visit Joe tonight.‘

12.        She said, ‗I can meet you on Tuesday.‘

13.        Keith said, ‗There is a letter for you on the table.‘

14.        ‗We won‘t be visiting Tom this evening,‘ Sam told us.

15.        Eric said, ‗They had been talking on the phone for an hour before I interrupted them.‘

16.        ‗I haven‘t spoken to Mary since last week,‘ Gloria said.

17.        They delivered the letters this morning,‘ she said.

18.        He said. ‗I‘d like to buy this jumper.‘

19.        They aren‘t going on holiday this year,‘ he said.

20.        Jane said. ‗I haven‘t finished my homework yet.‘

21.        ‗I‘m going to bed early tonight,‘ Caroline said.

22.        ‗My mother is coming to visit us,‘ I said.

23.        ‗We don‘t want to watch a film tonight,‘ the children said.

24.        ‗He‘s playing in the garden now,‘ his mother said.

25.        She said, ‗You must do your homework now.‘

 

Ex. 86

Turn the sentences into reported speech. In which off the following sentences do the tenses not change? In which do they not have to be changed? Why?

1.              The article says, The artist only uses oil paints.‟

...The article said (that) the artist only uses oil paints....

...The tenses do not change because the introductory verb is in the present simple....

2       They are working hard today,‘ he said.

3       ‗I‘ve done the things you asked me to do,‘ Mary said.

4.      The sun rises in the east,‘ she said.

5.  ‗I‘ve written you a letter,‘ she said to her friend.

6.      ‗We‘ve never been on holiday abroad,‘ they said.

7.      Mum says, ‗Dinner is ready.‘

8.        ‗I‘ll start cooking at six o‘clock,‘ she said.

9.    ‗We went to the supermarket yesterday,‘ he said.

10.      Mrs. Jones says, ‗My daughter is going to have a baby.‘

11.      ‗You‘re never going to get a job,‘ Dad always says.

12.      ‗Fish live in water,‘ he said.

13.        ‗We went to the beach last weekend,‘ they said

14.        ‗He showed me his photographs,‘ she said.

15.      ‗I‘m working on my project now,‘ Billy said.

 

Ex. 87

Turn the following sentences into reported speech.

1.            „Seaweed grows in the sea,‟ the teacher said to the students.

...The teacher said to the students/told the students (that) seaweed grows/grew in the

sea....

2.            ‗I saw Amanda at the cinema,‘ she said. (up-to-date reporting)

3.            ‗They don‘t live here anymore,‘ he said to me. (out-of-date reporting)

4.            ‗Canada is a large country,‘ he said.

5.            The Statue of Liberty is in America,‘ she said to us.

6.            ‗I‘ll help you with your homework,‘ he said. (out-of-date reporting)

7.            ‗I would go on holiday if I had enough money,‘ Bill said, (up-to-date reporting)

8.            ‗If I‘m free, I‘ll call you,‘ Tom said. (up-to-date reporting)

9.          ‗You should make a decision,‘ he said to us.


10.           ‗You can ask John for advice,‘ she said. (up-to-date reporting)

 

 

 

REPORTED QUESTIONS

Yesterday Eric had a job interview.

The manager asked Eric if/whether he had had any experience. He also asked him why he wanted the job.

Reported questions are usually introduced with the verbs ask, inquire, wonder or the expression

want to know.

When the direct question begins with a question word (who, where, how old, how long, when, why, what, etc.), the reported question is introduced with the same question word.

e.g. „What do you want to know?‘ she asked me. She asked me what I wanted to know.

When the direct question begins with an auxiliary (is, do, have) or a model verb (can, may, etc.), then the reported question begins with if or whether.

e.g. ‗Have you seen this man before?‘ he asked me. He asked me if/whether I had seen the man before.

In reported questions, the verb is in the affirmative. The question mark and words/expressions such as please, well, oh, etc. are omitted. The verb tenses, pronouns and time expressions change as in statements.

e.g. ‗Can you hold the door for me, please?‘ the man asked me. The man asked me if/whether I could hold the door for him.

‗Where are you going?‘ Sam asked her. Sam asked her where she was going.

(NOT: Sam asked where was she going)

 

Ex. 88

Turn the following into reported questions

1.                  „Where do you live?‟ I asked her.

...I asked her where she lived...

2.               ‗How old will you be on your next birthday?‘ he asked me.

3.               ‗Where is your umbrella?‘ she asked her daughter.

4.               ‗Do you like playing football?‘ John asked us.

5.               The boss asked, ‗What time are you going home today?‘

6.               ‗Will you take the children to school today?‘ he asked.

7.               ‗Who called you today?‘ she asked.

8.               ‗When will you decorate the kitchen?‘ Martha asked.

9.               ‗Who broke my vase?‘ I asked.

10.               Father asked, ‗Will you help me lift these boxes, please?‘

11.               ‗Can you speak a foreign language?‘ she asked her.

12.               ‗Where is the tourist information centre?‘ we asked.

 

Ex. 89

Yesterday, Marion met a couple who were on holiday in London. They were looking at a map. She asked them some questions. Turn them into reported questions.

1.             „Are you lost?‟

... Marion asked them if/whether they were lost.

2.             ‗Can you speak English?‘

3.          ‗Where are you from?‘

4.          ‗Is your hotel near here?‘

5.          ‗Where do you want to go?‘


6.          ‗Were you looking for Big Ben?‘

7.          ‗Have you been to the British Museum?‘

8.          ‗Have you visited Buckingham Palace?‘

9.          ‗Do you like London?‘

REPORTED COMMANDS/REQUESTS/SUGGESTIONS

 

Let’s fly the kite.

Pull the strings harder! Unroll more string, please. Don’t let go of the kite!

Keith suggested flying the kite.

He told Paul to pull the strings harder. He asked Paul to unroll more string.

He also told him not to let go of the kite

 

To report commands or instructions in reported speech, we use the introductory verbs order or

tell + sb + (not) to-infinitive.

e.g. ‗Put the gun down!‘ he said to him. He ordered him to put the gun down.

‗Don‘t look down!‘ he said to us. He told us not to look down.

‗Put the shopping in the kitchen/ she said to her. She told her to put the shopping in the kitchen.

 

To report requests, we use the introductory verbs ask or beg + sb + (not) to-infinitive. The direct sentence usually contains the word „please‟.

e.g. ‗Help me, please,‘ Jean said to Tom. Jean asked Tom to help her.

‗Please, please don‘t call the police,‘ he said to Colin. He begged Colin not to call the police.

 

To report suggestions, we use the introductory verb suggest + -ing form/that sb (should) + bare infinitive.

e.g. ‗Let‘s go outside,‘ I said to them.

‗We can/could go outside,‘ I said to them.

‗Shall we go outside?‘ I said to them.

‗How about going outside?‘ I said to them.

I suggested going/that we (should) go outside

 

Ex. 90

Fill in the gaps with the introductory verbs in the list in the correct form.

order, tell, ask, beg, suggest

1.                                                   Please visit me in hospital,‟ Joan said to Colin. Joan ...asked... Colin to visit her in hospital.

2.                                                   ‗Let‘s eat out this evening,‘ Paul said to her. Paul eating out that evening.

3.                                                  ‗Please, please be careful,‘ she said to him.

She him to be careful.

4.                                                  ‗Don‘t go near the fire,‘ Dad said to us.

Dad. us not to go near the fire.

5.                                                   ‗Be quiet!‘ the commander said to the troops. The commander. the troops to be quiet.

 

Ex. 91

Turn the following sentences into reported speech.

1.          The doctor said to the patient, „Come back to me again next week.‟


...The doctor told the patient to go back and him again the following week/the week after....

2.                  The guard said to the driver, ‗Stop!‘

3.                  He said, ‗Shall we go for a walk?‘

4.                  She said to him, ‗Please, please don‘t leave me!‘

5.                  Jenny said to Dave, ‗Please help me with this.‘

6.              She said to him, ‗Open the window, please.‘

7.              Mother said, ‗How about going for a drive?‘

8.              She said, ‗Let‘s eat now.‘

 

Ex. 92

Choose the correct answer.

1.          She said that it was going to be a wonderful party. a „It was going to be a wonderful party.‟

b „It‟s going to be a wonderful party.‟

2.             He said the bus might be a little late that day. a ‗The bus was a little late today.‘

b ‗The bus might be a little late today.‘

3.          She told him that he should study harder. a ‗You should study harder.‘

b ‗You should have studied harder.‘

4.          He said that the fire had done a lot of damage to the building. a ‗The fire had done a lot of damage to the building.‘

b ‗The fire has done a lot of damage to the building.‘

5.          He said that Michael was the best student he had ever taught. a ‗Michael is the best student I have ever taught.‘

b ‗Michael was the best student I have ever taught.‘

6.          She told us that the new furniture had been delivered the day before. a ‗The new furniture had been delivered yesterday.‘

b ‗The new furniture was delivered yesterday.‘

7.          They said that the manager would inspect the office the following day. a ‗The manager will inspect the office the following day.‘

b ‗The manager will inspect the office tomorrow.‘

8.          He said that if we hadn‘t acted so quickly, the accident would have been even worse. a ‗If you hadn‘t acted so quickly, the accident would have been even worse.‘

b ‗If you haven‘t acted so quickly, the accident would be even worse.‘


 

 

INTRODUCTORY VERBS

 

agree + to-inf

offer promise refuse

*threaten

‘Yes, I’ll give you a lift.’

Shall I carry the boxes?’ I promise I’ll help you.’

No, I won’t buy you a car.’ Stop talking or I’ll send you out.’

He agreed to give me a lift.

He offered to carry the boxes. He promised to help me.

She refused to buy me a car.

He threatened to send me out if I didn’t stop talking

advise + sb + to-inf

ask beg

command

 

invite oreder

*remind

*warn

‘You should see a doctor.’

‘Could you do something for me?’ ‘Please, please call the police.’ ‘Drop your weapons!’

 

‘Will you come to my party?’ ‘Get out of the house!’

‘Don’t forget to write to Paul.’

‘Don’t go near the oven.’

He advised me to see a doctor.

She asked me to do something for her. She begged me to call the police.

He commanded them to drop their weapons.

She invited me to (go to) her party.

She ordered me to get out of the house. She reminded me to write to Paul.

She warned me not to go near the oven.

admit (to) + gerund

 

accuse sb of apologise for

*boast about/of complain to sb of

deny insist on

suggest

‘Yes, I stole the plans.’

 

‘You lied to me.’

 

‘I’m sorry I shouted at you.’ ‘I’m the cleverest of all.’

‘I have a headache.’

 

‘I didn’t take your bag.’

‘You must do your work.’ ‘Let’s visit Jane.’

He admitted (to) stealing/having stolen

the plans.

She accused me of lying/having lied to her.

He apologised for shouting/having shouted at me

He boasted of/about being the cleverest of all.

She complained to me of having a headache.

He denied taking/having taken my bag. She insisted on me/my doing my work. She suggested visiting Jane.

complain + that

deny explain

 

exclaim/remark

 

promise suggest

‘You’re always late.’

‘I didn’t take the money.’ ‘It’s a difficult situation.’

‘What a beautiful baby he is!’ ‘I promise I’ll call you.’

‘You’d better go home.’

She complained that I was always late.

She denied that she had taken the money.

He explained that it was a difficult situation.

She exclaimed/remarked that he was a beautiful baby

She promised that she would call me. He suggested that I (should) go home.

+that-clause

explain inform sb

exclaim/remark

 

‘I don’t like him because he’s rude.’

‘The   results          will          come          out tomorrow.’

‘What a glorious day!’

 

She explained that she didn’t like him because he was rude.

He informed us that the results would come out the next day.

He exclaimed/remarked that it was a


glorious day.

*Note: admit, advise, boast, insist, threaten, warn, remind can also be followed by a that- clause in reported speech.

 

Ex. 93

Fill in the gaps with one of the introductory verbs from the list below in the past simple. agree, invite, warn, accuse, boast, complain, insist, explain, exclaim, remind, suggest, promise

 

1.                      „Will you come to the ball?‟ he said to her. He …invited… her to go to the ball.

2.                      ‗I‘m     the      best      student      in      the      school,‘      he      said. He about being the best student in the school.

3.                                 ‗Yes, I‘ll lend you some money,‘ he said to Jane. He.........................to lend Jane some money.

4.                   ‗What a beautiful dress she is wearing!‘ he said. He that she was wearing a

beautiful dress.

5.                          He never  buys  me  flowers,‘  she  said. She that he never bought her flowers.

6.                      ‗Let‘s go for a picnic,‘ he said.

He going for a picnic.

7.                      ‗You stole the money,‘ Tom said to Jim. Tom. Jim of stealing the money.

8.                      ‗Don‘t forget to hang out the washing,‘ she said to me. She me to hang out the washing.

9.                      ‗I promise I‘ll write to you,‘ she said to him. She to write to him.

10.                          ‗You must finish the report,‘ she said to him. She on him finishing the report.

11.                          ‗Don‘t touch the wet paint,‘ Dad said to us. Dad. us not to touch the wet paint.

12.                          There‘s nothing else I can do,‘ he said.

He that there was nothing else he could do.

 

Ex. 94

First, choose an appropriate introductory verb, then report the sentences.

1.                  „Please, please don‟t go.‟

... beg…

He begged… me not to go.

2.              ‗Yes, I‘ll do the shopping.‘

Paul ...................................................

3.                  ‗Everyone sit down!‘

The teacher ...................................................

4.                  ‗Could I borrow your pen?‘

She ...................................................

5.                  ‗It was me who made the mistake.‘ Mary ...................................................

6 . ‗You should speak to the manager.‘ Jill ...................................................

7.         ‗No, I won‘t type the letter for you.‘ Bob ...................................................

8.         ‗I promise I‘ll take you home.‘ Jack ...................................................

9.         ‗Fire at the enemy!‘


The sergeant...................................................

10.          ‗I‘ll send you to your room if you‘re naughty.‘ Mum ...................................................

11.             ‗No, I didn‘t call you.‘

Kim ...................................................

12.          ‗Let‘s go for a walk.‘

Tom ...................................................

13.          ‗I‘m sorry I broke your glasses‘ Ted ...................................................

14.          ‗Don‘t forget to pay the bills.‘ Sam ...................................................

15.          ‗Don‘t go near the river.‘

Dad ...................................................

16.          ‗You broke the window.‘

Peter ...................................................

17.          ‗Children, be quiet!‘

Miss Black ...................................................

 

Ex. 95

Turn the sentences into reported speech using an appropriate introductory verb.

1.         ‗No, I won‘t do your homework for you,‘ she said to me.

...She refused to do my homework for me.....

2.            ‗You lied to me,‘ Dennis told Ann.

3.            ‗I promise I won‘t tell anyone your secret,‘ Тага said to Diana.

4.              Don‘t forget to post the letters,‘ Mum said to me.

5.               I‘m sorry I ruined your shirt,‘ Sarah told Frances.

6.            ‗No, I didn‘t use Tim‘s computer,‘ George said.

7.              Don‘t get too close to the fire,‘ Mike said to the children.

8.               Let‘s have a party,‘ Simon said.

9.            ‗I‘ll punish you if you behave badly,‘ Mum told the twins.

10.               It was me who broke the vase,‘ she said.

11.             ‗Could I use your phone, please?‘ David asked me.

12.             ‗Yes, I‘ll help you with the washing-up,‘ Sandra told me.

13.             ‗Everyone stop talking!‘ Mr Jones told the class.

14.               Please, please, don‘t tell anyone about this,‘ he said to us.

15.               You should go to the dentist‘s,‘ she told her brother.

16.             ‗Children, sit down!‘ the school bus driver said.

17.             Throw down your weapons!‘ the policeman said to the robbers.

18.             ‗No, you may not stay out late tonight,‘ Dad said to Louise.

19.             ‗You must wash your hands before eating dinner,‘ she told the children.

20.             That‘s the most beautiful necklace I‘ve ever seen!‘ Amanda said.

 

 

EXCLAMATIONS – YES/NO SHORT ANSWERS – QUESTION TAGS

 

      We use the verbs exclaim/say that to report exclamations which begin with 'What a/an ' or

'How.. in direct speech.

e.g. What an unusual design!' he said.

He exclaimed/said that it was an unusual design. He exclaimed/ said that the design was unusual.

But with exclamations such as 'Splendid!', 'Great!', 'Good!', 'Excellent!', 'Oh!', 'Oh dear!' etc. we use the expression give an exclamation of delight/ disgust/ relief/surprise, etc.


e.g. „Wow!' he said as he unwrapped his gift.

He gave an exclamation of surprise as he unwrapped his gift.

♦      Study the following examples:

e.g. a) They said, „Thank you.' > They thanked us.

b)            You fool!' she said. > She called him a fool.

c)               Happy Birthday!' we said to Tamzin. > We wished Tamzin a happy birthday.

d)               Congratulations!' they said to us. > They congratulated us.

♦            Yes/No short answers are expressed in reported speech with subject + appropriate auxiliary verb/ Introductory verb.

e.g. 'Will you help me decorate the cake?' she asked him. Yes,' he said.

She asked him to help her decorate the cake and he said he would/he agreed.

♦         Question tags are omitted in reported speech. We use an appropriate introductory verb to convey the same meaning.

e.g. 'You won't tell anyone, will you?' she said to him. She asked him not to tell anyone.

 

 

REPORTING A DIALOGUE

 

In dialogues we use a mixture of statements, questions, commands, requests, etc. In reported speech we use: and, at, adding that, and (he/she) added that, because, but, since, and then (he/she) went on to say (that), while, then, etc. to link the sentences in a dialogue. We can also use introductory verbs in the present participle form (offering, begging, explaining, etc.). Words or exclamations such as Oh, Oh dear, Well, etc., are omitted in reported speech.

a)      ‗Oh, this is a delicious cake!‘ he said. ‗Who made it?‘

He exclaimed/remarked that it was a delicious cake and asked who had made it

 

b)       He picked up the heavy bag and said, ‗Can I carry it for you?‘ He picked up the heavy bag, offering to carry it for me.

 

с) Jill: Oh! I love your dress. Is it new? Ann: Well, actually it is.

Jill: Where did you buy it? I‘ve been looking for one like that for ages!

Jill exclaimed that she loved Ann‘s dress and asked her if it was new. Ann replied that it was. Jill wanted to know where Ann had bought it, explaining that she had been looking for one like it for ages.

 

Ex. 96

Turn the following sentences into reported speech.

1.              „Don‟t be late tonight,‟ said Dad. „You have to get up early tomorrow‟.

..Dad asked us not to be late, explaining that we had to get up early the following day.

2.                  ‗Let‘s go out tonight,‘ he said. ‗We haven‘t been out for ages.‘

3.                  ‗I‘m exhausted,‘ he said. ‗I‘ve been working hard all week.‘

4.                  ‗You‘re late,‘ she said to Tom. ‗I was about to go home.‘

5.              ‗Are you busy?‘ he asked me. ‗I need to talk to you.‘

6.                  ‗Have you had your hair cut?‘ he asked Jessie. ‗It looks great.‘

7.                  ‗I‘m bored,‘ Peter said. This film is terrible.‘

8.                  ‗I‘m going shopping,‘ Linda said. ‗I‘ll be back in an hour.‘

9.              ‗Bill wants to talk to you,‘ Tina said to the boss. ‗He‘s waiting outside.‘

10.                      ‗Are you ready?‘ Mother said to the children. ‗It‘s time to go.‘

11.                      ‗I‘m going to bed,‘ Emma said. ‗I‘m tired.‘

12.                      ‗Wait for me,‘ I said. ‗I‘m coming with you.‘

13.                      ‗Open the window,‘ he said. ‗It‘s hot in here.‘

14.                      ‗Go away,‘ she said to them. ‗I want to be alone.‘


15.                      ‗What time is it?‘ Bob asked. ‗My watch has stopped.‘

16.                      ‗Are you leaving now?‘ Sam said. ‗I‘ll give you a lift.‘

17.                      ‗I‘m sorry I‘m late. I lost my way,‘ she said to us.

18.                      ‗Who‘s there?‘ she asked. ‗Come in.‘

19.                      ‗Did you miss the bus?‘ he said. ‗You‘re late.‘

20.                      ‗Have you got an umbrella?‘ Liz asked. ‗It‘s raining.‘

 

PUNCTUATION IN DIRECT SPEECH

We put the speaker‘s words in quotation marks and we capitalise the first word of the direct speech.

e.g. „He isn‘t at home.‘

We mention the speaker before or after the direct speech. When the speaker is mentioned before the direct speech, we put the comma outside the quotation marks. When the speaker is mentioned after the direct speech, we put the comma inside the quotation marks.

e.g. She said, „He isn‘t at home.‟ OR: ‗He isn‘t at home,‟ she said.

If the direct speech is a question and the person being spoken to comes after it, we put a question mark and not a comma.

e.g. Do you know him?‟ she asked me. OR: She asked me, „Do you know him?‟

 

Ex. 97

Punctuate the following, making any other necessary changes.

1.                                      shall we meet again next Thursday Roger asked ...‟Shall we meet again next Thursday?‟ Roger asked....

2.                 Jack said don‘t touch the wire

3.                 where have you been Tina asked

4.                 basketball is my favourite sport Sam said to me

5.                 Rita told me I have no time to spare

6.                 did you phone your uncle Mother asked

7.                 Sandra said I don‘t want to stay here any longer

8.                 the children are in the garden Dorothy said

9.                 why did you do that Bob asked

10.                Linda said close the window please

11.                Paul said I don‘t like horror films

12.                they asked where are you going

13.                we‘re lost they said to me

 

Ex. 98

Turn from direct into reported speech or vice versa.

1.              ‗I have a lot of work to do today,‘ she said. ...She said she had a lot of work to do....

2.              He asked her to phone him later that evening.

3.              ‗Where are you going in such a hurry?‘ he asked her.

4.              Sue begged her friend not to tell anyone what she had done.

5.              ‗Are you ready to go to school?‘ Mum asked us.

6.              Tom said he was nervous because he had never been on a plane before.

7.              ‗Can you pass me the newspaper, please?‘ Jane asked Toby.

8.              John suggested that they go to Italy on holiday.

9.              ‗We could go for a picnic tomorrow if you like,‘ said Jack.

 

Ex. 99

Turn the following into reported speech. Use appropriate introductory verbs.

1.                  Ben: „I didn‟t do very well in the test.‟

...Ben remarked that he hadn‟t done very well in the test


2.                  Joe: ‗We won‘t get the results until next week.‘

3.                  Tania: ‗I‘ll be very disappointed if I fail.‘

4.                  Meg: ‗I had done a lot of revision.‘

5.                  Ben: ‗Let‘s talk about something else.‘

6.                  Joe: ‗Does anyone want to come to the cinema with me this afternoon?‘

7.                  Tania: ‗My roommate is having a party at the weekend. You‘re all invited.‘

8.                  Meg: ‗I‘d love to come to the party. Count me in.‘


❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html