-->

Download ▼

Top 19 Grammar Books (PDF)

╰──────────────────────╯

PAST INDEFINITE TENSE

PAST INDEFINITE

 

1)  It is used to denote an action performed within a period of time which is already over. The time of the action is indicated by the adverbial of past time: ago, last year, yesterday, the other day, in 1995, etc. =a complete past action

e.g. Last night my neighbours celebrated their wedding anniversary.

 

2)  It is used to denote repeated, habitual past actions or states.

e.g. Every week he took his girl out. When I was a child I usually went to bed at 9.

When a habitual past action or state is in contrast with the present, the expression ―used to+Infinitive‖ is used. e.g. He used to like comedies (but he doesn‘t now) We didn‟t use to go to concerts (but we do now).

The construction ―would+Infinitive‖ is also used to describe repeated past actions (but not states). It is more common for written language and often occurs in reminiscences. e.g. On Sundays, when I was a child, we would get up early and go fishing.

 

3)  It is used to denote a succession of single past actions (events, facts) or states.

e.g. He got out of bed, opened the window and lay down again.

 

4)  It is used to denote reported present-time actions (according to the rules of Sequence of Tenses).

e.g. Kate said to me: ―I‘m a first-year student‖. (direct speech)

Kate told me (that) she was a first-year student. (indirect/reported speech) Jane asked: ―Do you have dinner at home as a rule?‖

Jane wondered if I had dinner at home as a rule.

 

5)  It is used to denote an action occupying a period of time in the past, when the fact that the action took place is more important than its duration.

e.g. He lived in Minsk for 2 years and then moved to Moscow.

 

Ex. 1

Open the brackets using the Past Indefinite tense-forms.

1.        First I (meet) Jill in the foyer, then we (go) into the hall to find our seats.

2.        In those days Paul (look) young and handsome.

3.        I (meet) Peter at the university. We (be) both in the same year. He (study) law, but he (not/be) very interested in it and (spend) most of his time practicing the flute.

4.        Yesterday evening I (go) to Jack‘s house but (not/find) him in. His mother (say) that she (not/know) where he (be) and she (think) he probably (be) in the library.


5.        This bicycle has been in our family for fourteen years. My father (use) it for the first five years, my brother (ride) it for the next five and I have had it for the last four.

6.        I (use) to play football when I (be) at school but when I (leave) school I (drop) it and (take) up golf.

7.        Steven Spielberg (direct) his first film in 1974.

8.        Yesterday she (dye) her hair the same colour I (do).

9.        To tell the truth, I (not/expect) our trip would be so exhausting.

10.   We usually go out on Saturday evening, but last Saturday (be) so wet that we (decide) to stay in and play computer games.

Ex. 2

Rephrase each sentence so it means the same as the preceding one.

1.        I gave up smoking ten years ago. I ten years ago. (used)

2.        When I was a teenager, I went to a disco every week. When I was a teenager, I    to a disco every week. (used)

3.        The boy hated playing the violin at first but then he liked it more. The boy hated playing the violin at first but then it. (used)

4.        Hard work doesn‘t bother me. I hard. (used)

5.        My brother quickly adapted to the life in the youth camp. My brother quickly

  to the life in the youth camp. (used)

6.        We had lots of friends when we lived in the country. We lots of friends when we lived in the country. (have)

7.        Brian was so naughty and disobedient as a child. Brian so naughty and disobedient as a child. (be)

8.        When you buy a new car, you need some time to practice driving it. When you buy a new car, you need some time to driving it. (get)

Ex. 3

Use either “would” or “used to” where possible to express habitual past actions.

I (was) a keen footballer when I was at school. I (played) for a local boys‘ team and every Saturday afternoon I (got) on my bicycle and (rode) off to the park where there (were) several small pitches in those days. Sometimes we (won) and sometimes we (lost) but we always (enjoyed) ourselves immensely. After the game we usually (chatted) with the others for an hour or so. Then I (hurried) home to tea. My mother and I (lived) in the little house next to the school. She always (prepared) a bath for me, and we (had) tea together immediately afterwards.

 

Ex. 4

I.  Put questions to the words in italics.

1.       Lucy called me twice last week.

2.       He was born in 1990.

3.       I wrote a letter to Nick in the morning.

4.       The children broke that cup the other day.

5.       They went to the country for the weekend.

6.       The weather was awful on Sunday.

7.       It took me an hour to read that article in yesterday‘s newspaper.

8.       There was a gun in the criminal‘s bag.

9.       Yes, I spoke to Mr. Nickson on Tuesday.

10.   Nelly danced with Mark at the party.

❒ English Vocabulary Course 💓
═══════════════════════
☛ For the successful completion of this course, you will have to do two things —

 You must study the day-to-day course (study) material. 
❷ Participate in the MCQs/Quizzes in the telegram Channel.  Join

◉ Click to open 👇 the study materials.

╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
╰─────────────────────────╯
   ══━━━━━━━━✥ ❉ ✥━━━━━━━━══

https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2020/12/rules-of-changing-voice-active-to-passive.html
https://www.englishgrammarsite.com/2022/04/pdf-files-on-verb-tenses-right-form-of-verbs-and-subject-verb-agreement.html